Monday, August 23, 2010

Richer, Healthier, Older (poem)

He sat on the edge of my bed, looking down.
He wore a suit, ready for business.
The flashest clothes, the latest communication devices.
We talked about my health.
And I envied him his material possessions.

He sat on the edge of my bed, smiling down.
A runner of half-marathons,
A veteran of the nearby gym and ready for a walk in the park.
We talked softly of my health,
And I envied him the vim and vigour of life.

He sat there, gazing down with wisdom and concern.
His children married to good men and women,
Job prospects and business opportunities and travel destinations opening up,
We talked respectfully about my illness,
And I envied him his fullness of years.

And sometimes I want to rant and rave!
And complain to my Father about the Unfairness Of It All!
And say my gifts were never good enough!
And give me another five, ten or twenty years!
I'll show you what I can do!
And ask "Why?"

This man at the end of my bed -
A ghost, friend, reminder, personal reflection (avatar???),
He is what he is, has what he has,
Do I dare envy anyone the life they have?
I, who barely have enough comprehension of the meaning of my own journey?

Father, simply give me a Good Day...
And when the Good Days finish,
Take me Home,
Free from envy,
And full of the Peace that passes ALL understanding...
Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment