Friday, August 20, 2010

The Church Gerald Evening - An Account

Can't really call this a tribute concert - it sounds too grand.
A tribute to Christ in me...and in our fellowship on the night.

Introduction from Michael and Jenny - these 2 have been learning ukuleles recently, and tonight they used them to present a version of My Bonny, which got the audience singing along and ready for whatever may occur later in the evening.

Jamie Wood then sang a solo, a Bruce Springsteen song called "Land of Hopes and Dreams" which hints very strongly at heaven (you won't find it - the song, that is - on any of the studio albums) - Jamie sang his heart out in what was a very emotional performance.

Colleen Sangster was next up with a song entiltled Christopher Robin, which she had sung at an audition for one of my church shows. Colleen's intonation was perfect (she sang unaccompanied), and I would write a show for her any day if I get time!

Surrealism crept in with the next item, a sketch entitled "False Salaam" which featured Adele and Nigel Little as Arabs greeting each other. Short, succinct, and a worthy indicator of how we might welcome visitors to our services!

For those of us who like the letter "F" it was hats off to Jeanette Yancey who presented the parable of the prodigal son using about 90% (polite) F words. The achievement was prodigious - I wonder if there are any using D words???

We next slipped into a classical phase - beginning with the Meditation from Thais (Massenet) played by young Reuben Goetz-Wyllie, accompanied by Judy King - Reuben's intonation (keeping-in-tune-ness) was virtually perfect, and he demonstrated great sensitivity to the piece.

Katherine Austin and James Tennant were next, presenting Rachmaninov's "Vocalise" and a Spanish piece by ??? - if these guys are around at the time, we will be treated to Vocalise again at my funeral - what wonderful tone/sounds!

Patricia Brunell (nee Martin!) has a gorgeous voice, and felt every syllable of the song she sang - one made well known by Gospel Queen Mahalia Jackson (title escapes me!) - Pat has lived every word of what she sings, so this was pretty special.

Dave Machell followed this up with a bit of blarney (didn't realise you had Irish blood in you, Dave!) - in particular an "inflated" story which saw its central character, Don Two (as opposed to Don Juan) vowing to lead a double life!

The next piece presented astounding and hilarious choreography from the McNickle family - everyone with their own moves and almost colliding with each other - what an impressively "tight" family these guys are!

Back into the music - Fiona and Tiffany Ross sang a Brooke Fraser song about deserts, with impeccable vocal harmonies and Fiona's darker, mellow-toned voice providing a wonderful backdrop for tiffany's lighter colours. Tiffany followed this with a song of her own, which shows very promising songwriting skills - keep it up, Tiffany!

Continuing with the younger generation, it was a total surprise and delight to have Andrew and Hannah Allen, who have been in several of my shows, sing a medley of 2 songs, I Will Find You (from Lost)and Safe on Dry Land (from Noah) - beautiful voices, and so moving to have these guys choose my stuff to sing!

The next thing was incredibly powerful - Fred basically gave a toast to me (joking that because we are Baptists, we will need to pretend to raise our virtual glasses!) - Fred has read me so closely since he got here, and THAT was the powerful thing about what he said - I do wonder how many pastors could claim to know their sheep so well...

And then a script prepared by Linda McGrath, who has been involved in every church show I've ever done...unfortunately, Linda was sick! and the script, including an email from the Harrises (previous pastors, and their children) was read out by Jenny (and Andrew). Linda has also put the script into a book, which I have, and it is a real labour of love - come and see it!

Then I sang 2 songs - 1st, accompanied beautifully by Sophie on flute, "For My Friends" (lyrics on blog) and 2nd "Hope" from my set of songs called "Dark Glasses" (CD available from vWs).

And then we hugged, laughed, cried, told stories, ate and drank and went home.

BIG BIG THANKS to Michael, Jenny, Andrew and Aaron who put it all together.

I will remember this forever (thanks also to Fred, whose brainchild it was!)...

Gerald.

2 comments:

  1. I can see a reference to 'My Friends' but not the actual lyrics (which I would like to have).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops!
    You are correct!
    I will remedy the situation shortly!
    In the meantime, feel free to "remind" me!

    ReplyDelete