Friday, April 24, 2009

Lost in the Hospital (NOT the Supermarket)

Apologies for those who have been there and done that!

AK hospital stands as an architectural example of what Ak's local government could turn out like.

Bits'n'pieces, labyrinths, darkened chapels and cloisters of administration...

Nobody REALLY knows THE way (there is always more than one way).

A reception door that CANNOT be opened from the outside!

Not just one but TWO spiral staircases in the Oncology building (imagine being on radio or chemo treatment and facing this challege!).

No letters of appointment.

My route led from Wilson's car park up the windy pathway to the brick building with the one-way (exit) door - is that symbolic???

Thence to the warm, cosy, down-market pannelled room of Doctor Chris Sullivan (really friendly and reassuring - and he admired my stitches!!).

I left Lois in the onco building (she had work to do) and ventured forth to "Bloods" (any Southsiders reading this, it is NOT a gangster thing, okay?)...

From Blood Test to ECG - finding the right level, the right direction, the right building (favourite saying of hospital "guides" = "You will see a sign hanging down" - I tell you, if Jesus had been born in Ak hospital, the shepherds (and possibly the angels!) would have had NO CHANCE of finding Him - speaking of which, overheard in primary school nativity play "We bring you gold, myrrh...and Frank sent this"!)...

From ECG I was told to look for Theresa at reception, and she directed me easily back to onco.

A half hour appointment had somehow morphed into one and a half hours!

It's a Wilson's conspiracy...all done to ensure more money handed over at the check out!

Seriously, now...

Schedule (onco etc.) for next weeks...

Monday 27th 8am admission for portacath-insertion operation.

Tuesday 28th 7.45am join "gang of 3" and travel to O.C. for Day 3 (must check my timetable! And has anybody seen my briefcase??).

Friday 1st May arvo - orientation for chemo treatment, birthday dinner at Tabou with Lois.

Monday 4th May - blood test.

Tue 5 May - pre-admit checkup.

Wed 6 May - battle begins!! (actually, it'll be my Elvish mate Folfiri doing most of the work. My job, as far as I can understand it, will be to keep on going, crack jokes and give thanks for my existence, forgive those who trespass against me, and not be led into temptation...and YOUR job, dear blogfollower/blogreader is to pray (if you do), send love (if you haven't yet sent anyone love, START NOW!! don't wait till then!...it's FUN!), and little messages of comfort/encouragement/aroha (you've done a great job of that so far).

END CREDITS:

Today surprisedbyGerald gives thanks to:

Lois (right-hand person and chief firewood-stacker), Lorna (looking after my girl), Sophie (great company and laughs at my jokes!), Dan (Firewood Man), Dr Chris (REALLY nice guy!), Maria (keep the ginger crunch coming!), Rosemary and Malcolm (experts in visual arts AND the art of good company), Tony (plum jam jam-master), Ian (bringing my boy home safely after spending a week of foul weather with him exploring caves), Dave (warm welcome on the phone - looking forward to getting back to school) and today's emailers - you sure know how to keep an indolent man busy!!!!

Arohanui,

Gerald.

22 comments:

  1. sure that is not dr richard ? glasses longish dark hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure it is doctor Chris Sullivan - short fair-ish hair...
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta watch those hospitals. I took the "wrong" lift to see Gerald during his first stay and all I could find on his floor was the sleep lab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for the caving, just wait until you see the photos. They give an idea of how small some of the hole were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See, I can comment really - have to be logged in to the university library's blog though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean re ACH. The first few times I went I felt quite trapped - long corridors with no visible exit! However since Mum's frequent admissions over the last couple of years I realise that there is a logical plan.The carpark costs are horrendous - I think I just about own it now and should qualify for a frequent user's card! Sounds like a busy few weeks ahead with school as well.All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ian, it seems as tho your caving techniques would not be out of place in ACH (Auckland City Hospital). By the way, the first musical I ever wrote (for staff and students at Auckland College of Education to perform/see, in 1984) was called ACCH (Auckland City Council Horrors - it was all about the advent of "lead mutants" who lived under motorways etc., having morphed from normal humans due to high levels of lead emissions - I was quite pleased to be able to incorporate passages of Ecclesiastes into some of the monologues).

    Amanda, congratulations - back on board thru the library!

    Coralie - er...WHAT is the logical plan??!!

    love,

    G.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Gerald, i must say i really enjoy reading your blogs! it makes me wonder... if i just happened to drop some of your comments about the hospital into converstations with my supervisors, if they would drop those comments with the HODs, who might drop those comments to the vice chancellor, who might (or most probably not)be able to get at least an entrance sign for the not so welcoming dungeon door changed.
    Or I wonder if one simple soul brave enough to bypass bureacracy(!) could just put a more plesant and creative sign up instead...and i wonder how long it would last...
    anyway just wanted to say thank you for sharing your stories in such a superb, comical, humble and loving way.
    Anyway on more pressing matters, have you heard of the The Vestibules? - a superb canadian trio - their little number : BULBOUS BOUFFANT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuCNAwXGaQ
    thought it might appeal to your sense of humour...
    Is there a video of the ACCH? my father has experienced a few (too many) auckland city councit horrors.
    love,
    pritika (the one who once thanked you for playing the violin so beautifully - Ben later corrected me and told me it was the Viola! (sorry bout that)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Pritika.
    Lovely to get your comment on the blog - and welcome to the blogfollowers!
    Re: decor...
    Here is my real proposal (the general anaesthetic/aesthetic seems to be wearing off)!
    Our Art Department at school (Otahuhu College) produces an abundance of vibrant, youthful and relevant art work!
    In a very informal discussion with the Art HoD, I suggested that she may like to approach Ak OR Middlemore Hospital re: producing work to warm the buildings up!
    This would have many benefits....
    1.cheap/free CHEERFUL visual displays for desolate areas.
    2. students feeling their work had an audience/relevance beyond the classroom! (I would even be prepared to bring a bunch of student musicians in to serenade in the more public spaces!).
    3. Community links!
    4. The increased awareness of the hospital as a spiritual/emotional place (which it is, unquestionably, tho so many of us fall into thinking of it as a "sausage factory").

    I could go on, but that should do it for now!

    It was lovely to hear your testimony yesterday about Bible in Schools - for me the experience was similar, in that our childhood discussions with the "Bible Teacher" planted seeds of faith and questioning that led to a wholehearted pursuit of/by God in later years.

    No worries about the viola/violin misnomers...their both "fiddles" on one level.

    Love,

    Gerald.

    ReplyDelete
  10. p.s. a video of ACCH??
    hmm....
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With this talk of art, you've reminded me that I used to have a carving on the wall of a corridor at my high school. I wonder if it's still there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carving, Caving or Craving?
    Hey, what type of carving?
    How big?
    What of?
    What school woz u at?
    We can find out!
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, it is a carving (I find it quite amazing how many "cavings" there are on TradeMe, even multiple occurrences for the same item) of a Maori-inspired design. it was stained a plain brown colour, about 30 cm square, and was mounted with many others in the corridor between the hall and the end of A block at the establishment your maths mate TW goes to.

    Anyway, the idea for art in the hospitals is great. The stuff displayed at Auckland Airport looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, it would be good if the art for institutions idea takes form and substance.
    Why don't you ask your twin brother, who also works there, whether your craving for your carving may be satisfied?
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Gerald,
    brilliant! brilliant!
    re. the car parking at the hospital. My workmate Hannah said that if you need a carpark on a friday across the road from the hospital (save you having to donate money to the coin monster carpark factory) than we could arrange for you to use hers across the road at the med school. Let me know if that would help you?
    love p

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is very kind, Pritika! I think I will be okay on Friday as the orientation takes place at the Cancer Society and I think the parking there is straightforward. My next "haircut" is on Tuesday at 3.30 - pre-admit for chemo, in the onco building. Would that suit your friend Hannah at all (half hour appointment)? No worries if too awkward. Perhaps you and I could discuss on Sunday at church? I'll be the one playing viola! G.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you get a bead for each "haircut"? Do we need to organise some?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes Gerald that's absolutely fine.
    Text me on 0272453661 or call 9236732 and I'll come down with her card to swipe you in when you get here. its the UOA faculty of med and health sci 85 park road carpark (just opst domain entrance), I'm away sunday morning - gutted i'll miss your playing!
    See you tues then?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ian - maybe they should be sponsored haircuts...
    Pritika...that is brilliant!
    Okay, we should be at the UOA carpark by about 3.25pm.
    Will text/call you.
    Where will you be when we call you?
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will be up in the 5th floor at the med school building. It turns out i will be in Akld on sunday so chat more about it then. p

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cool.
    What do you do at the med school?
    Are you a student?????
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yep. I'm a permanent head damage (phd) case...
    Alex, if he remembers, might give you the run down (study gene changes in human neuro-disease brain tissue, the kids at ignite wouldn't believe me most of the time though...)

    ReplyDelete