Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Oncology Appointment - Brief Report

The thing to bear in mind is that this is all new territory and NOBODY REALLY KNOWS how things will work out...
But that's life!

Things to tell you now...
Oncologist is Mr Paul Thompson.

He has recommended a course of chemotherapy called "folfiri", which to me is a delightful name - something Tolkien might have dreamed up when naming his Elvish characters...

This is a 2-week course, given 12 times, creating a cycle of 24 weeks (6 months!).
One of the chemicals sounded a lot like "Dom Perignon" but Paul assured me it wouldn't be nearly as tasty.

This will be administered by I.V. through a "portacath" which sounded like "portacaff" (I had a brief but delicious vision of me being able to dispense cappucino or espresso as I wandered amongst friends, colleagues, etc.).

This will be "wired" under my skin (play it, Cole Porter!) while I am knocked out, and the I.V. will be popped in on a Monday (usual day), checked on a Wednesday, then left for the rest of the fortnight.

Paul was very emphatic that it would be a good idea to go back to work, according to what my employer could accommodate (but I have books to read! blogs to write! concerts to prepare for! music to listen to!).

I will be talking about possibilities re: work next week.

Paul's prognosis revised my life max up to just under 2 years, IF the cancer responds to the chemo.

I was given a choice of two chemo treatments - folfiri or xelox.

Xelox is bound to lead to desensitising of nerve endings, including fingertips, and I do not wish to contemplate not being able to play viola or guitar or do other sensitive things so soon, so this is why I am going for folfiri.

Treatment will start in about 3 weeks, with a raft of appointment letters for orientation, preparation and THE THING.

So, after that we walked round Cornwall Park (beautiful), came home, I got thrashed at monopoly by Alexander (45 minutes???? I MUST be unwell!), watched an episode of Blackadder, had a visit from Walter M (colleague) who brought me a beautiful painting he's done (gorgeous colours), and Plonie (youngest sister).

As I write I am listening to the Blind Boys of Alabama - I will spare you the album reviews, as once I start doing albums I will have no time for anything else (life is tooooo short!).

Enjoying it though! (both Blind Boys and Life).

Tonight the vWs are heading out to Bosco Verde for some Italian food!

Yum!

G.

6 comments:

  1. Yes,I think you're rather enjoying the chance to walk,read,listen,write,talk,entertain,eat... without the pressures of school and all that teaching involves!! It is so time consuming - even when you enjoy it!! Shona and I will come over on Friday afternoon if that is okay with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Coralie.
    Is 4pm okay for Friday?
    Gerald.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've just checked with Shona and 4pm will be fine. Look forward to another catch-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how old will you be in two years time?
    lots of love from McWormie's in Hereford
    Richard & Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. McWormie's was the only place we could find wifi.

    ReplyDelete