Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

Up at 6.30am.
Off to church at 7.40am.
Sophie off to e-camp at 8am.
Practice for service at 8.30am.
Service at 9.30am.

Played viola for this - good to be back into this.
When I play viola I sense Emmanuel (God With Us) strongly.
I am at once joyful/tearful/overcome.
I love it, and always pray that others will too!

Found a cafe open after church - planned some nice things to do over the next few days.
Watched the DVD of La Vie En Rose - biopic of Edith Piaf.
A tragic story - outstanding performance by lead actress though.

A walk round the "long loop" - Carlton St, Frederick Street, Taylor's Bay, Goodall Street (the cemetary always inspires conversations about "disposal" - for me, it will be cremation, by the way), Hillsborough Rd and back thru Hillsborough Primary - about an hour (and Goodall St is hard enough for cars in first gear, so I'm not doing too badly!).

Yesterday a fun afternoon of "invalided men" - visited by Moala Tuinuku'afe (colleague) recovering from knee surgery (rugby players!!), then out to Mike B (nice to be the one visiting for a change!!), recovering from carpal tunnel surgery on left hand (guitarists!), then back home and visited by Barry Robinson, recovering from knee/tendon surgery (athletes!!)...

And to top off the day yesterday a visit from Pastor Fred and Patricia Martin - Fred cooked us a delicious meal in our own kitchen - maybe (hopefully!) you have started a new trend, Fred!
And I for my part gave a very informal music lesson, while Lois chose the wine, cut fresh herbs and made fresh bread and Patricia took me very gently and encouragingly through aspects of my personal history (her Dad was in the British merchant navy at exactly the same time as my dad was in the Dutch merchant navy)...

So, yes, to all you foodies out there!!
If you would like to swap your cuisine for an informal music lesson/DJ session by a roaring fire, with good wine, submit your possible menus, and music requests/playlists to this blog!!
Lois is out of the country from Sunday 19 April to the following Thursday, so could use that time as a practice time for when she gets back!

Oh well, enough outrageous suggestions for now - tomorrow I am watching The Passion Of the Christ at 3pm - if you care to join me let me know - it is R16 and most definitely not for the squeamish - if you are a Christ-follower it will remind you of Christ's human suffering on our behalf - if not a Christ-follower it will probably raise a few questions about Him...

I'm off to Martini-time now, accompanied or leading up to another episode of 6 Feet Under.

Love,

G.

p.s. This blog was written to the aural accompaniment of Sinead Oconnor's album "Faith and Courage" which is WONDERFUL.

2 comments:

  1. Well, nothing compares to you, Gerald. And I was sure there had to be a reason why Alexander keeps tying Dutch Marine bowlines instead of ordinary bowlines.

    Anyway, does a bunch of feijoas count as "cuisine"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!
    I will check with Lois.
    I guess it's not so much what you have as what you do with it!
    G.

    ReplyDelete