Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Andrew

Andrew Clasby and I have known each other since the vWs arrived back in NZ at the end of 1998, with a few breaks in between.

When I was diagnosed with cancer, he unhesitatingly stepped in and offered his support in whatever way I might need it or want it.

His "time" has been flexi, but he has always prioritised my needs and has in fact turned down work at times in order to "be there" for me.

The last year and a half especially have been a major test/proof of his deep friendship/loyalty/support, as we have transformed the experience of chemotherapy into something highly enjoyable and virtually an art form.

And then, when finally chemo was laid to rest and the hospitalisation process kicked in, he was still there...transport, meals (the legendary lasagne!), shopping, companionship, presence.

Never once has he complained.

Never once has he talked about the drag of spending time.

Never.

And he has always laced our times together with a gentle through to raucously irreverent humour - and we have talked directly about death/God/pain/personal stuff without too many tears.

I really don't know what I would have done in the last time of illness without KNOWING he was there for me...

Andrew, you are a deeply special friend, who has shown your faith, hope and love through your walk with me.

Thank you!

Enough words - let us continue to enjoy the time remaining, and the existence beyond that!

G.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, it has been great to get to know you on a more personal level, and I am enjoying the journey.
    It has been an emotional roller-coaster at times, but I am a better person for the experience.
    Hope we get to see many more movies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The friendship the two of you have is such a special one. It brings warmth to my heart to have experienced such a beautiful friendship. God bless you both. x x

    ReplyDelete