Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Police CD Review

The Police, 2007.

A 2 CD compilation released to coincide with their world tour.
3 of the best musicians to emerge from the punk scene of the late 70s.
Roxanne is a brilliant pop/punk/white reggae number.
If truth be told, I was never a HUGE fan of the Police - I found many of their songs just a little off centre to where I was headed - most of the time if I wanted that reggae feel, I would get it from Elvis C or The Clash.
The Police came across as just a little too clever, too disingenuous (and Sting's subsequent solo career proved these suspicions to be true!).
BUT put all the hits together on a couple of CDs and you have a varied, snappy and irresistible compilation of music which genuinely played a part in shaping the pop of the 80s.
The basslines, the drum fills (especially the cymbal work), the guitar solos, and that distinctive vocal timbre - Roxanne would never look back!

8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment