Monday, August 23, 2010

Arbour Zena CD Review

Keith Jarrett, 1976.

While I ditched my proggy vinyl and nicked my father's straight German tie in the name of Punk, I was blissfully unaware of forces out there greater than myself, moving in the music world...

I wonder what would have happened if I had come across messrs Jarrett, Garbarek and Haden in 1976?
Would I have understood or appreciated them at all?

As it happens, Garbarek would be discovered by me many years later, as he parped and soared in communion with the Hilliard Ensemble...

And this is my first Jarrett recording, BECAUSE it's in collaboration with Garbarek (one day I may try Jarrett seulement, but for now...).

It's wonderful stuff!

Jarrett, in collaboration with the aforementioned AND a string orchestra, creates new worlds, where rhythm isn't so much defined as evolved - ideas spring forth one from another, in a refreshingly organic way.

Add to this the superb musicianship of the soloists, and you're in for 50 minutes of transfixing, transcendental music.

Jazz?

This is beyond jazz...I would be fascinated to know how Jarrett worked with the orchestra on this, and also how he chose the titles of the three tracks.

Waiting for the first sax solo, I was not at all disappointed by Mr Garbarek's offerings - and likewise, I would love to know what directions, if any, were given by Mr Jarrett.

Thinking back to my possible 76 discovery of Jarrett - yes, probly would have chucked the album away or given it to a suitably distant relative.

But not today...

10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment