Sunday, August 8, 2010

"Grease" show review

Thanks to the Hospice, we got 5 tickets to see Grease this afternoon.

I have a few issues with Grease, the show - firstly, nothing much really happens it.

Secondly, most irksome of irks, it ends with Sandy lowering her standards to get with a cool dropout type dude, invalidating whatever moral values/principles she had to begin with.

It is an objectifying, cynical piece of fluff - much loved by many!

So, reservations aside (I always hope some feminist director will do something truly innovative to the ending!!), we headed into the Civic to see the show.

Lovely performances - some cool choreography, using minimal-ish resources.

Vocals a little strident, but some lovely cameo vocals from the gents.

Tremendous energy!

Terrific band!

IF you don't struggle with the issues that confront me when I consider Grease (and I keep saying check out West Side Story!!), AND you love a good time at the show, this won't disappoint.

My favourite moment - Greased Lightning!!

Performance Grade: 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment