Sunday, July 4, 2010

Egypt CD Review

Youssou N'Dour 2004.

An album featuring a full Egyptian orchestra AND traditional Senegalese instruments.

Without doubt Youssou's most devout and explicitly Islamic album, which may be a bit of a stumbling block - his devotion to various prophets with whom we have no connection prevents a sense of direct enjoyment for us Christians!

The music is perfect - as you probly know by now, I love all those strings, xylophones, talking drums, cross rhythms, "different" scales, and the man's voice.

This album was given to me by Walter Moore, a remarkable guitar teacher I've had the privilege of working with for 12 years (the famous sandwich man! I am gonna miss those sandwich days, Walter!), and will be cherished greatly for my remaining mortality.

So, a bit of an acquired taste required for approaching this album (there are some wonderful You Tube clips featuring this material performed live, and the movie I Bring What I Love is largely about its controversial release during Ramadan), BUT you may find it worthwhile...

No comments:

Post a Comment