Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Beethoven's 9th CD review

Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic, 1986.

I am grateful to have all the symphonies in one set, and played well.
This was Herb's 3rd interpretation with the BPO - he did one in the 60s and one in the 70s.
It's very shiny - not a note misplaced, and with a sense of Vorsprung Durch Technik (progress thru technology)...
And, as I shared in my appreciation blogpost, this is a source of frustration.
I feel like I wanna go up to Herb and mess up his fine, wavy grey hair and say, "let's get dirty with this music!"
But then it may lose something of the stately grandeur element...
A worthwhile intro to the Symphony, for sure, but I would love to hear if anyone out there has some other interpretations that work for them - Simon Rattle conducting the CBSO???

No comments:

Post a Comment