Saturday, July 31, 2010

Where You At?

Having a pretty chilled day.
Our usual Saturday coffee cancelled due to flat car battery and a needto do my "biography" work at 10am (Jacquie Morris is my chronicler, and the lady who lent me the O'Donohue book from which the earlier poems of today were quoted).
After the personal history work (up to the London/childbirth years), spent a lovely relaxed time talking with my son and daughter...these times have gained in significance, power and magic, for obvious reasons...
Sophie made some pikelets, and Alexander has once more done a marvellous job of cleaning the pool (a complex task, my young apprentice) and leaf-blowing.
Last night Lois and I sat down to watch Episode 1 of The Wire...the jury is still out on this as a form of entertainment - certainly a tense and powerful dramatic bundle...Episode 1 didn't have quite the oases of tension release that are so enjoyable in "Mad Men" which is definitely drama of choice at present.
I am expecting to meet with my niece Annelies some time soon today - game of monopoly?
Coffee?
Sitting around and chatting?
Movies?

Oh, while I remember, from this Wednesday I will be ring-fencing Wednesday arvos as Gerald Time - an experiment in setting aside time and space exclusively for self - I enjoy visits hugely, and thanks to all of you who have been able to pop in etc.

As you know, I also have a creative urge which I think could be catered for by the ring-fencing, say from 1pm to 5pm on a Wednesday...or even just use the time as snooze time...

So, there we are.

Doorbell rings, new adventure begins!

10 comments:

  1. Sarah and I watched all 5 seasons of the Wire earlier this year. You're welcome to borrow any/all of them.

    Best TV Show ever, I reckon, if you can handle the swearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Rhett.
    Yep, I think the sewaring id the barrier for us at present!
    Thanks for the offer, tho!
    Enjoying Sufjan - ehrn would you like him returned??
    Chicago is a great song.
    Looking forward to the new Arcade Fire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gerald,

    Nah Sufjan is all yours! :-) I've already got a copy.

    I just got the new Arcade Fire yesterday. Liking it more than Neon Bible instantly (that album was bit dreary for me), but it's big (16 songs) and will take some time to digest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhett, thanks!
    How did you manage that?
    Arcade Fire streamed their Madison Square Gardens concert live today - I caught "Wake Up" which was as anthemic as ever!
    Looking forward to exploring The Suburbs - all 16 tracks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pleasure. :-)

    I got Arcade Fire on iTunes, where I get the majority of my music now. it came out on Tuesday... you should be able to get it at JB Hi-Fi now too... it came out a bit earlier than I was expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The concert was filmed by...Terry Gilliam!
    And, er, yes, if you have the first season of the Wire available to borrow, I will see what the second episode has in store!
    Are you perchance a sci-fi nut by any description??

    G.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are welcome too! Sarah and I did sort of joke about how with baby we might have to put the Wire on the shelf for the next 20 years! But I'm sure I can pull it out when the kid/s have gone to sleep. I've never seen a show that has as much intelligent stuff to say about politics or institutional corruption, and the character development is second to none.

    ... But yes, some BAD language!

    I do like sci-fi but I'm not sure if I qualify as a nut. I loved the series Firefly, and loved Star Wars etc... but not a Trekkie or anything! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahem... I meant you are welcome "to" not "too."

    Just before Alex arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  9. actually, i said that to him in person. xD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha!
    Another one bites the dust (of Alexander's very exacting/pedantic correction process)!
    Take care out there in cyberspace!
    G.

    ReplyDelete