Thursday, July 8, 2010

At Home, Book Review

Bill Bryson, 2010.

Can't rate this book highly enough - it is a major masterpiece.
In some ways a companion piece to A Brief History of Nearly Everything (??)in which BB discussed the Big Bang, dinosaurs, DNA and momentous events.
This one deals with architecture, social welfare, personal hygiene, mousetraps, light switches, fashion...
And is rivetting.

One paragraph flows into another and, having reached the end of the book, I found myself wanting to return to the start and read it all thru again - but I do need to return it to Mike and Jenny!
Over the last week or so I have needed this book in the lonely hours of the night, and it has been there for me throughout!

What will BB write next?

I guess my favourite section was learning about Thomas Jefferson and Monticello, but evry page contains treasure.
YOU HAVE TO READ IT!

11/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment