Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Let's Get Metaphysical

So...imagine there is not very much time left.
Say, 24 hours.
Or perhaps 2 weeks.
Or 2 months.
A finite amount of time.
How would you spend it???

Funny how facing one's mortality makes one ponder the wasted times and what could have been.
But ALSO the good times, the full times, the heaven-here-on-earth times that have been.
For those of us who believe we are coming to the "transit lounge" of life, the next stage of the journey is, we are assured by those in whom is all our hope, MUCH BETTER than the journey so far (and that's been some journey).
For those of us who believe that our journey is finishing, we say goodbye to the struggles of the journey and look forward to a place of rest.

For me, personally, I am looking forward to moving thru the transit lounge and heading on to a place (some would call it home) of tremendous colours, beauty, visions, waterfalls, sunshine, all shot through with the presence of the person who made it all...

And if I do move on soon, then, because Heaven/Paradise/Home is not subject to time, you guys will be joining me in the twinkling of an eye!

Sweet!

Though it won't seem like that to you...

Did you ever do that thinking game about "if you could have someone/anyone over for dinner, from any period in history, who would it be?"

My 3 - Bob Marley, Beethoven and Jesus (although ironically it's now as though I'm getting a dinner invitation from Jesus now!) have been my 3 for a while.

Bob, cured of his brain tumour and his Rastafarian ways (Jesus to Bob: um, you got a bit lost there for a while, Bob...),

Beethoven cured of his deafness, and making music for eternity, and hearing stuff even better than what he could write (Jesus to Ludwig: I'd like you to write me a few more symphonies - maybe a sequel to the Ode to Joy, now that you are actually here in Elysium),

and me, free from stress, fear of surfing and also pain free (Jesus to Gerald: what were you so scared of??)

To revert to the physical world and to conclude, I have walked round the block today (a substantial achievement).

Tomorrow I'm aiming to do Cornwall Park after The Appointment (but no One Tree Hill, ok Lois?)

Visitors: Rosemary, Roshni, Maria, Malcolm, Kerry and Theo (all from Otahuhu College) - I declared it a fringe PPTA meeting (how many members does it take to form a Branch??), and we began planning our conspiracy - but actually we had a lovely time talking "shop" amongst other things...

Today's soundtrack courtesy of Elton John (Madman Across The Water) Billy Joel (Glass Houses) Buddy Holly Wyclef Jean (Masquerade) Jon and Vangelis and the Rolling Stones incognito (Jamming With Edward).

DVD request: The Mission (Jeremy Irons, Robert de Niro?), any old Star Trek or Dr Who you can spare.

Events on the Horizon: appointment 11.45am tomorrow, possible attendance at Super Twelve gig on Thu, visit to school on Fri, play viola in church on Sun morning...God willing.

Much love to "youse all",

Gerald.

4 comments:

  1. For today's soundtrack, here's some Johnnny Cash - dedicated to you both:

    We saw houses falling from the sky
    Where the mountains lean down to the sand
    We saw blackbirds circling 'round an old castle keep
    And I stood on the cliff and held your hand

    We walked trouble's brooding windswept hills
    And we loved and we laughed the pain away
    At the end of the journey, when our last song is sung
    ill you meet me in Heaven someday?

    Can't be sure of how it's going to be
    When we walk into the light across the bar
    But I'll know you and you'll know me
    Out there beyond the stars

    We've seen secret things revealed by God
    nd we heard what the angels had to say
    hould you go first, or if you follow me
    Will you meet me in Heaven someday?

    Living in a mansion on the streets of gold
    At the corner of Grace and Rapture Way
    In sweet ecstasy while the ages roll
    Will you meet me in Heaven someday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing the 'terrain' of your 'block' that was some accomplishment!
    Remember that God never gives us more than we can cope with and that He is ever present to help us when we feel we can't handle the tough stuff.
    You have been (and still are) a blessing to hundreds of people over the years and evidence of this is the fact that you have so many coming to visit and to share this particular journey with you. You are a very special person Gerald with amazing gifts and talents not least your ability to connect with people. I value the impact you have had on both my immediate family and my extended family.You are truly one of life's gentlemen.
    I will remember you at 11:45 this morning as I'm trying to teach Reading with my Year 1's and 2's.Look forward to seeing you again soon.Coralie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you wrote, Gerald...but I'm not ready to farewell you into the transit lounge just yet(yes, I'm one of those embarrassing people who clings and snivels at the airport!). I'll be praying hard for you this morning and for wisdom for the docs.

    You said:
    >>And if I do move on soon, then, because Heaven/Paradise/Home is not subject to time, you guys will be joining me in the twinkling of an eye!

    If you've ever watched the movie The Lake House, it puts this concept in perspective. The lead characters are living two years apart, so whenever they agree to meet up, one of them only has to wait five minutes, or a day, while the other has to add two years to the wait!
    love
    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  4. The song is "Meet Me in Heaven Someday" and is on Johnny Cash's "Unchained" album, produced by Rick Rubin.
    Beautiful, as are virtually all the songs on all these last 5 albums.
    Thanks for the pointer, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete