Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Day in the Life...

Sometimes you just have to let it all go...
This morning was like that for me.
Leaky wound, chances of getting thru this disease minimal, wife in Oz, LONELY.
It's all right to cry...the better you cry the better you can laugh.
Last Friday I was in hysterics as Rosemary, Lynette and Malcolm described the Niuean group performance at our school's fiafia (dress rehearsal) night for this year's Polyfest (hmmm...maybe that's what got the stitches loose??????).
Today Lorna, my ma-in-law came and changed my dressing. She is a beautiful, relaxed lady who has given so much of herself to her family and to my situation recently.
Nola has been a blessing too. Tho not a trained nurse, she has dedicated herself to looking after me, cooking yummy meals and checking always what needs to be done...
Aren, Nola's son, continues to be cheerful, bubbly, energetic and helpful...he will be a fine young man when he grows up!
I received a text from the Greenlane Clinic - next Wednesday at 11.45 I have an appointment where I will be told "what is what" - this is prior to a meeting with the Oncology team, where specific treatment will be discussed.
I am nervous about this appointment - I hate having appointments to hear bad news...
I will be presenting a concert of psalms at Mount Roskill Baptist Church on Sunday 24th May - breaking from tradition with previous concerts, I will be choosing 10 psalms which I think best reflect that movement from heart's cry in the depths thru to transcendant praise - I hope to be physically okay on this day!
Jude, the oncology district nurse, came and checked my wound today, which was reassuring...tomorrow a different nurse will come, to check again - what a great service!
Kay Shacklock visited after this, and we had a really good chat about our families - she has 2 boys, Stuart 16 and Tim 14 who are getting into the performing arts.
She has invited us over to Howick which will be fun, as Tony, her husband, may give us a little spin in his Lotus.
Kay was followed by Trevor my PPTA buddy (Southern Ward Executive Rep), and we had a quick chat about Tongan 1st birthday parties before he had to go back to school.
Trevor was followed by Adele, and a massive discussion about writing and creativity followed. Adele is a published writer, and it was fascinating to get an insight into her creative process, and compare it to creative processes/movements in other art forms.
Adele was succeeded by Kerry and Theo, my "carpool brethren", and Vijaya Naidu, also a colleague from school.
Kerry, as is his wont, updated me with all the ins and outs of the British Premiere League, Theo gave me a rundown of last Thursday's Coldplay gig, Vijaya offered me some Indian meals when I'm ready (hopefully soon!), and I gave a verbal report on The Who.
We sat on the deck in the fading sunshine...very comfy (and my first time outside post-op).
6pm rolled along and Renata picked me up for a meeting with parents about the Noumea trip that Sophie will be heading out on in October.
Then all back to 26C and a delicious meal!
With red wine (the anti-oxidant diet).
A full day.
Ups and downs for sure, and once again more ups than downs.
Yes my life will be shorter than I would have expected (unless a miracle of healing occurs, which I certainly will not rule out)...maybe a lot shorter.
And today has been a gift from God for me...I hope your day also has been a gift, not taken for granted, but worked thru, savoured (like red wine) and shared with people you love and who love you!
Goodnight everyone,
Love,
Gerald.
(4000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire...)

4 comments:

  1. Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall....
    Sounds like you had a very full day, I will be praying for your trip to the Hospital next week.
    With God ALL things are possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4000 holes in Lancashire? Don't think so. On http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/lifestyle/2004/08/06/caving.shtml I found this:

    Best place in Lancashire to go caving? "Unfortunately nowhere in Lancashire offers caves of any real challenge. ..."

    It's a song reference isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. andy, thanks.
    ian,yes it is (day in the life by the beatles, last track off sgt pepper's).

    ReplyDelete
  4. renata, not renate?

    ReplyDelete