Thursday, June 4, 2009

"How Bizarre" indeed (a performance report)

So somehow I managed to get the School (Electric) Band to all meet and set up and rehearse for a gig in the library today.

Considering I was nowhere in the neighbourhood yesterday, I think I did quite well!

The songs we performed at lunchtime were Opshop's "One Day" and OMC's "How Bizarre".

For both songs I sang lead vocals, with backing vocals supplied by Lee H, Tui L, Mina L, and Starzya E.

The other musicians were all blokes.

The library filled up pretty quickly and we rocked into it - One Day is a ballady song which is a little too high for me to be comfortable in the chorus, so I harmonised while the girls took over the main tune - we shared 1 microphone between us, as the other 2 corded mics seem to have "got lost in the system" while I was in hospital.

My coup de grace was rushing away while the blokes performed a techno version of "the Samoan song", changing into my banana outfit, given to me by my ace nursey friend, Maria C.

The costume consisted of a yellow "banana suit" (the type used by nurses when infusing patients with chemo), a yellow scarf, a multi-coloured wig and a yellow pair of glasses with flashing lights.

Then into "How Bizarre" vW style, with yours truly pirouetting, scowling, prowling, pogoing and
presenting as genuinely bizarre.

WE HAD FUN!!

Tonight the 6 of us (2 Dormandys and 4 vWs) are heading off to Da Sette Soldi for a meal out.

I am VERY pleased to report that, following Nurse Karen's advice yesterday, I have done without anti-nausea pills since dinner time yesterday.

A great feeling (the original prescription was to have pills several times a day up to and including Saturday)!

Tomorrow R'n'R will accompany me to school, where they will meet students and staff, indulge in morning coffee and lunch (leek and potato soup, french bread and cheeses).

Yum!

G.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds groovy! Your students must love you - you obviously make learning fun for them. I will try to rally the troops for the 'wordy' afternoon on the 14th. I spoke to Gafa - she is thrilled for Sophie. Sonya also asks after you - her boss at her other job, Stephanie, also reads your blogs and keeps Sonya updated. Pleased to hear that everything is going reasonably well medically for you at the moment.Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually things are going unreasonably well!
    But I ain't complaining!
    Maybe see you at War of the Words!

    G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi my name's ian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How bizarre indeed. Does that mean I'm not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was worried that might happen after a while. i put it down to my son being mildly stressed at present due to exams...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coralie - give Sonya my regards - I continue to hold her in very high esteem for the work she has done at Hilly Primary, usually without due recognition from Management...also especially for the excellent start she gave to both my kids in terms of being musicians.

    G.

    ReplyDelete