Monday, June 29, 2009

"Untouchable Girls" (movie review)

I saw this with my friends Richard and Ruth, 2 chemoes ago, at the newly refurbished Capitol in Dominion Rd.

I have not been a fan of the Topp Twins, but I am now!

Lois and Kerry recommended this, and I thought R'n'R would find it at least interesting - they did.

The Topp Twins have a remarkable gift for bringing their audience into a state of excited, blissful unity - so it was a pleasure to see the live performances of recent years as well as archival material from the 8os (and 70s?).

Their childhood in Huntly brought memories back for me (Ruth whispered: "What's a calf club day? And why do they have it?) - I lived in Huntly as a 6 and 7 year old (and tried to run away from it twice!!).

The 80s political stuff - arguably some of the ugliest years in recent NZ History, but the ToppTwins in the thick of it and veritably floating over the garbage of it all (Mururoa, Springboks, Bastion Point, Rainbow Warrior) to bring us joyous and uplifting songs/performances.

The cancer stuff - me sitting there cradling my chemo pump and watching Jools go thru her chemo, and surviving!

The role-playing - the two blokes, and the Camp Leader and Camp Mother...

The interviews with the Topp parents, AND the Topp partners...

The horses...

The discussion of sexuality, and seeing how an audience is united by the twins regardless of all that stuff...

All in all, a joyous, uplifting and socially relevant movie.

Long live the Topps!

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment