Saturday, January 16, 2010

BDO 2 - morality

There's too much swearing at the BDO.
And yesterday, most of it was coming from the bands/performers.
The climax of this banality was Lily Allen's "sing-along" Thank You Very Much (except that the word Thank was replaced by the F-word).
Why am I upset/anguished by this?
I guess it's not so much the actual swearing as it is the acceptability of rudeness.

When the Sex Pistols appeared on the scene (for the younger readers, that's 1976), their advent released, explicated (new word?) or affirmed many things regarding rudeness/banality, which had previously either been banned, covered up, or smirked at.
In a way, good on the SPs for pulling out all that stuff from under the carpet.
I guess Lily Allen represents a point along the line begun with the SPs (or was it the Stones?).

Someone I know (we've been friends for about 30 years, and are still on good speaking terms) once said it's not what you eat, it's what comes OUT of your mouth that defines your morality (this is actually a translation/paraphrase - He was originally making his statement in Aramaic).
If you wish to swim against the moral current of "the age" I guess you need to be personally responsible for setting your own sights high.
Here endeth the exposition of the issue...

4 comments:

  1. It's not just rudeness that's accepted. "Greed and Lust" are too. Sure, "it's not what you eat" and it's just a name, but where and when does a name become the action? Names and actions go together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point about Greed and Lust.
    I guess I find the irony of Hell's campaign/marketing more entertaining than 10s of thousands of people sticking the middle finger up in the air and singing with Lilly.
    ...have you come across the bible theme park they have in the U.S.A.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I didn't make that much use of the 90 day visa they gave me in the States. I didn't even leave LA Airport.

    I'll grant you that something that fills the stomach is less affronting (and far more appealing when we're hungry) than the "disappointing" behaviour you witnessed. We each have to draw our line somewhere. I suppose when we're hungry isn't the nicest time to draw it conservatively. It also reminds me of a speaker on Focus on the Family talking about dieting. "What if you're visiting friends and they offer you full cream milk? Should you accept it? Of course. It's free!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha!
    I guess with food it's being aware that there are people "out there" with not much food at all...we really do need to wake up and realise that resources are finite and are there to be shared.

    ReplyDelete