Thursday, January 21, 2010

"Sun Gangs" (CD review)

by The Veils, released 2009.

I had seen ads for Veils gigs prior to them appearing at BDO.
I had heard people saying "Oh, The Veils. They're good".
And now I had a chance to see them for myself, and was very impressed.
They had a great live sound, a consistent intensity and clarity of expression on stage...and a set of strong songs with memorable melodies.

Listening to Sun Gangs, the 2009 album from this Devonport (so my source informs me - see BDO Thumbnail Sketches blog) backs up the initial impression - the songs are solid, beautiful and catchy - also varied in tone, though pretty serious in nature.

Sit Down By the Fire kicks the album off in Bo Diddley guitar style, then we drop into a beautiful, intimate ballad, the title track, and the contours of tone, mood and tempo continue to surprise.

Probably the most harrowing of the tracks is Three Sisters, about a family burning up in a house, though Larkspur is also an intense piece, short on lyrics but long on emotion.

I really like Scarecrow, an evocative song with strong poetic imagery.

The album has something for everyone, and I'm looking forward to further releases from this clever, moving and convincing ensemble.

10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment