Saturday, January 16, 2010

BDO 6 - a young person's day?

Most of them were between 16 and 25 (and blonde!).
Most of the time I told myself "I'm here for the music, not the scene".
Most of the time it worked.

And I managed mostly not to be obviously Alexander's "old man".
Succeeded most of the time!
I guess I was resolved after watching an "old woman" talking to her sons about what time they had to be back with her, and getting them to show her how to take photos with the cell phone.
BDO is no longer a family event (with a lower age restriction to ensure kiddies can't come).
Maybe it never was...

I saw the most old codgers around and unselfconscious when Muse were playing.
And realised they were probably the same age as me...
Affirming my view that good music can cross cultural divides.
Time for a last cup of hot milo and then bed...

8 comments:

  1. I guess if you want to go to a concert without all of the F words, Parachute 2010, would be a better option...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.
    Good idea.
    Don't forget that we are called to be salt and light, also.
    I do think there is the possibility of ending up in a "Christian Music Ghetto".
    Which is one of the reasons why I admire U2 and Van Morrison.
    The gospel message rings out to all corners of the world through these folk (especially U2).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps by chance, I stopped going to Parachute around the time it appeared that larger numbers of non-Christians started going.

    One of the best things I remember from the first Parachute Festival I went to was a couple of guys who did a very polished dance on the grass in the middle of the Village to the Van Morrison/Cliff Richard duet "Whenever God Shines His Light". That was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Greenbelt Festival in the U.K. went through a similar metamorphosis (i.e. Christian to non-Christian). Today I heard some Christian death-metal (not really death-metal, but very heavy rock with a screaming voice tearing itself to shreds)...takes all sorts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone else go to Shelterbelt at Totara Springs ages ago (pre-Parachute)?

    I used to work with a person who liked Christian death metal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems absurd - Christian death metal is surely an oxymoron??

    ReplyDelete
  7. And "Hell's Pizza"?

    Do you mean the name "Christian death metal" is an oxymoron or the concept is?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend Richard-the-vicar once said a lovely grace for some Hell's pizzas we were eating.
    Can't remember exactly how it went.
    I think it was on a day when we'd visited Hell's Gate (Rotorua), and he'd taken a photo of a sign there saying "Hell's Gate - no entry".
    I guess the concept of Christian death metal is more of an oxymoron than the name.

    ReplyDelete