Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Short History of Nearly Everything (book review)

by Bill Bryson.
Absolutely amazing!
How this author manages to get so much info across with such clarity and humour and INTEREST mystifies me every time.
This is a truly superb book which looks at the history of the world and Science, and also gives great accounts of the people who unfathomed the mysteries...
After reading a BB book, I seem to find myself going round and beginning conversations with the phrase "Did you know..."
Yes, it really is that sad.
The final chapter is terribly poignant...as usual I won't give too much away, but to read of the final dodos, and indeed the extinction, by man, of most other species, is heartbreaking (though, once again, not without humour).
And BB's explanation of sub-atomic particles, string theory, DNA and many more things, is so very un-text-bookish, I found myself almost overcome by a desire to study science (at school, we had mainly worthy, but often dull, science lessons - after 4th Form I was relieved that I no longer had to study it, tho it was a struggle to get to do Geo rather than Bio!).
Whether you are a science buff or not, a creationist or an evolutionary, you will enjoy this book - it's a jolly good read!
I think the next BB book I will get my mits on will bve Thunderbolt Kid - stay posted!

G.

4 comments:

  1. one of my favourite books - I could (and have) preach from it!
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? You have preach from it? I speak well England also.

    Being away has got to you, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear!
    Habla Espagnole?
    For preaching, both the intro and the outro, AND of course various person profiles, offer a lot of material. I am wondering what BB to go for next - probably The Thunderbolt Kid...currently doing a Ballard (The Drought).

    ReplyDelete