Saturday, August 1, 2009

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" (movie review)

Chemo day is my "wagging" day.
I currently have a very early stat time, so manage to get out to the movies round about 12 or 1pm.
I have decided I NEED this time - chemo throws me out of whack for the day and I am not much use to man or beast once my pump is on and the fluorourocil is wending its way thru my bloodstream.
At the risk of me falling asleep, Andrew C, my regular "chemo-buddy", and I, aim to take in a movie.
Enough back-story! - we went, we watched and we wondered...
I thought this move, as a cinematographic experience, was stunning.
It is smoother, defter, more sophisticated than the previous 5, and if you know the plot background, you will thoroughly enjoy it.
In particular I loved the acting, the set design, the photography and the soundtrack (no longer by John Williams - he's probably on perpetual holiday by now - living a life of luxury with the royalties from all those Spielberg and Lucas soundtracks - probably comes out of retirement to write an award-winning 8-bar tune starting with a perfect 5th, then slips back to Hawaii)...
Michael Gambon as Dumbledore has steadily become much more than a bearded Gandalf-substitute...there is depth in his characterisation, but I won's say any more about Dumbledore, as there are surprises in store.
Yes, there is some sense of "waiting for the end" - inevitable I suppose.
But it's a thrilling, scary, funny, and highly enjoyable wait.
Don't take kids to see it - too scary!

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment