Sunday, August 2, 2009

"The Lord of the Rings" (book review)

Do I really need to review this book of books??
I have just spent about 2 to 3 months of my life reading it.
It was worth every moment.
A book that hints at eternity, Good Things, and a complete world in our imaginations.
I first was introduced to this book by my sisters (I think it was Plonie who lent me a copy), back in the early 70s - and I have reread it several times - this is not to boast, but to get across something of how a book can have a very strong relationship with its reader (the Bible and Koran are of course the ultimate examples of this) - reading it for nourishment, comfort, adventure, inspiration...
The thing that struck me this time "through" (apart from the completeness of the vision, which always grabs me) was the language.
Tolkien loved language, and as many of us know it was his love of ancient languages which led to creating a story to explain his own languages (esp. Elvish).
Reading LoTR, one is struck by how real and rooted the names of things and people are - this is in contrast to many other fantasy novels, where the names seem fake or shamelessly borrowed from other religious/mythical sources.
The language does indeed shape the cultures, characters and even the story itself.
The book is a trusted, valued companion, and if you have never read it before in your life (no matter how old you are), at least give it one go, before it's too late (...set aside time though - as I said, it took me about 3 months, but I am asuredly a "slow" reader!).

G.

10 comments:

  1. When you type Lord Of The Rings (3rd to last paragraph) it either needs a capital O or a lowercase t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And assuredly, not "asuredly".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexander, thank you for your critique.
    Ian, lolling about again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and if you can't get into it- start on page 90. . . you can go back and read them later

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now which edition would that be in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marjan, very good suggestion for the non-afficionadoed...
    I have Das Rheingold on as I type (opera version of LotR, in case people don't know)...if only we could do the same with Wagner.
    Speaking of which, there IS a reduced version of the Ring Cycle (performed by the Reduced Shakespeare Company - very entertaining and short!).
    Actually, I love Wagner, so I don't mind the length at alllllllllll...
    Ian, good question - probly assume it's the chapter just after Bilbo leaves the Shire...
    SophiWophi, what are you on about??
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My guess is that is excludes Shadow of the Past, chapter 2 of FotR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess it might - but the Shadow of the Past is pretty cool...I wouldn't miss any out - maybe the foreword "Concerning Hobbits", but you'd have to be really impatient to give that a miss, and you'd probably miss the point of one aspect of the book (the value of good tilled earth)...
    G.

    ReplyDelete