Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Chemo 8

The actual chemo day doesn't get easier.
Today was fun tho - Andrew and I decided to dress as aliens.
Andrew wore a black suit and alien eyes - contact lenses with strangely dilated pupils.
I wore a yellow banana suit (hospital issue), technicolour wig, silver triangles on my face, my trousers tucked into my shorts, and of course at a later stage a whole chemo drip pole.
This brought considerable amusement to traffic, pedestrians, nurses, patients...
Photos should appear any time soon.
After the session it was off to St Lukes to catch Public Enemies (to be reviewed ib due course)...and visit cd and book shops (I seem to be doing quite well in the window shopping stakes)!
Tired once home - well looked after by wife and children - Sophie having made it thru to both prepared and impromptu speech finals at school, and Alexander completing his school website (for him - contains music reviews) - you can access the info thru their blogs (listed in a previous blog here, as is my friend Richard's - tho his is apparently on hold for timebeing - internet reception not so good in Cuba).
Something I gained insight into today was that when adversity strikes, we as human beings seem to have a resilience mechanism that helps us to reframe our life and STILL have positive or negative reference points within the new situation...
Personally, I am recognising myself as a largely hopeful person - I think the last few years especially bear testimony to that!
I'm not saying that one's hopes are always fulfilled, but having hope opens unlimited possibilities for other things - not least LOVE and JOY and FUN.
Andrew and I have warned the inhabitants (some admittedly more transient than others) that in 2 weeks time the pirates will be coming...ahoy there, me hearties!!!

12 comments:

  1. Your trousers tucked into your, er, "shorts"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops!
    Well spotted, Ian!
    I meant socks, of course!
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo is great - it looks like Rod Stewart and K-Pax crossed with Snake Man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K-Pax was a great film. We had a fun day, can't wait for the Pirates big day out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I thought you looked like Rod Stewart too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barrie became a grandfather on Tuesday evening - a little granddaughter called Holly. She even has her own website!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly an alien from planet Rod then! Not heard of K-Pax - obviously need to check it out! I think the Rod Stewart thing must be the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les Paul was the guy who invented the electric guitar. He passed away today at the age of 97 I think. Kind of responsible for rock'n'roll?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Barrie, on becoming a grandfather. This must be the daughter of your software-giant Orcon son - correct? Enrolled for athletics yet??
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les Paul died? Having been famished of news I knew not. There's a great video of him (on You Tube perhaps) playing How High the Moon. It's worth looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will do. Played some Hendrix at school - where would we be without the electric guitar??

    ReplyDelete