Friday, March 12, 2010

Where To Now?

Tomorrow this blogsite will celebrate its first (and last?) anniversary (1st post entitled "Golly", for those who may be curious to check back as to the "origins" (I love doing this myself, which is one of the reasons I like episodes 1-3 of Star Wars...this also reminds me of a magical time when I went to Holland when I was 10, and one day went exploring in my Auntie's attic, AND discovered the very first instalments of the Trigan Empire, a wonderful sci-fi fantasy comic strip - if there are any generous millionaires out there, the whole series has recently been re-released in a set of hard-covered books - reasonably pricy, tho!)...

Sophie will be 13! ("Seems like only yesterday", etc. etc.)

And I will be 5 days away from commencing my second (and most likely last) chemo battle with the powers that think they are...

Assessment Tue, infusion Thu and pump off on Sat.

Andy and I (andyandi) have already planned which movie we're gonna try to get to (Alice), and thought we may forego the costumes this first time.

If anyone has suggestions for themes, let me know...

I am experiencing mixed feelings about it all (surprise, surprise!) - happy to be doing something which may kill the pain and discomfort for a while, sad because it looks like the end is indeed drawing nigh, frustrated because I have plans/dreams for stuff I'd still love to do - and the realisation of these plans seems to get postponed/rescheduled constantly, and needing to believe that all is good and God cares and God is in control (and wanting to shout at Him where does He think He is???), and tired!

Have had some incredible chats with my students today - we start off by talking about unfairness and not-rightness, and this moves thru to talking about the tsunami (and each time I uncover yet another story of human loss).

But I have learnt fairly early on there's no point in asking "why?" - that's a recipe for doing your head in, if there was one.

My home group is studying "Daniel" still, and I do take heart from the story of the "4th Man" in the fiery furnace and Daniel's miraculous survival of the lions.

Where to now?

Into the furnace/lion's den/chemo battle/uncertain and dangerous future...

Divine Presence (AND human) gratefully accepted.

Love,

G.

2 comments:

  1. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
    Or close the wall up with our English dead.
    In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
    Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
    Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
    Let pry through the portage of the head
    Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
    As fearfully as doth a galled rock
    O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
    Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
    Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
    Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
    To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
    Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
    Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
    Have in these parts from morn till even fought
    And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
    Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
    That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
    Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
    And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
    Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
    The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
    That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
    For there is none of you so mean and base,
    That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
    I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
    Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
    Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
    Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good stirring speech!
    Into battle and don't look back!

    ReplyDelete