Thursday, March 4, 2010

"Once More into the Breach..."

Cancer count up to 320-ish.
Nodules have spread round the peritoneum/abdomen.
I also have ascities, which is some fluid in between the liver and bowel and other bits (like a plastic bag into which water has leaked - eeuw!).
Game on!

Chemo will begin again in about 3 - 4 weeks.
I am on the wait list.
Had an x-ray on my shoulder straight after the onco, in order to rule out possible bone cancer (5% of cases get this).

The most likely chemo regime will be FOLFOX, which uses our old friend fluorouracil, oxaliplatin and something else...

It is expected that I will escape the dreaded "hand-foot syndrome" where layers of skin fall of the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet.
I will most likely experience some peripheral neuropathy (loss or heightened sensitivity of digital extremities), however.

The lovely Karen, my oncologist for the afternoon, recommended this as I am "oxali naive".

Best chance for biggest impact.

It will be 2 week cycles, for 12 cycles, same as FOLFIRI...though if there is no impact they will stop and I will begin to make myself comfortable.

Expect more outrageous photos along the way.

I will not be posting anything new till Sunday - my birthday! - as Lois and I will be heading up to Pakiri tomorrow!

By the way, one of my ex-students, young Steven Rapana, is having a choral piece performed Sunday 5pm in the Ak Town Hall, with words by one of my current students (Vaela'a Fatu) - I think it's Auckland Choral performing it, and the concert is free.

Life/music goes on...

Many thanks to Andy, who gave me a lovely "cheering up" gift of licorice allsorts and a Michael Jackson DVD this afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Gerald, John Childers here. Love your honest poetic way of writing. Trying to do a bit myself. And doubly trying to get Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0 Extended to work so I can send you writing, photos and embedded videos, all in the same pdx file, of our recent 2 months in the Philippines. Luv ya man, John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Gerald,
    I hope you have a special birthday on Sunday!
    You constantly remind me and inspire me to 'be' in the 'now' and appreciate it by giving people and nature my time and attention. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
    Much love and respect, p.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with Pritika! Brings it all into clear focus. Thank you Gerald.
    Enjoying Jars of Clay "Redemption Songs" album hugely at the mo
    "What ever my lot you have taught me to say "It is well it is well with my soul"... LOVE that song.
    That seems to be how you are, Gerald. Very well in your soul. Guess that's all that really matters.
    Lots of love and yes, respect.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - Hi! Thanks for the encouragement!
    Looking forward to the Phillipines stuff!

    Pritika - enjoy every sandwich, sister!

    Jill - perfect love drives out fear, and death loses its ting and its victory.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete