Sunday, March 14, 2010

What's Going On - Part 3 (public health warning - contains ruminations on life, death, etc.)

With the pain and discomfort and so on, sometimes it is easy to, albeit superficially, wish it was all over.
And yet I know that is not my call.

Yes, some countries these days allow euthanasia, or even stepped-up medication, in order to ease one's passage to...where?
My faith does not allow me to do that (euthanasia, that is - "pain management" I can live/die with!) - I believe that God will take me when He's ready (and hopefully when I am, too!).
So - what IS the point?

The point is...to celebrate the life that is here, to share it with others, and to honour it as a gift from God.
I am currently reading a profound book entitled "Have a Little Faith", by Mitch Albom, who wrote a similarly profound book called "Tuesdays With Morrie".
This current book features the life story and insights of a Rabbi.

One story I will share now is how in Israel, when there are car bombs that go off, there is a group of volunteers who zoom to the scene of carnage and rush around putting all the bits of the victim's body into a plastic bag - the belief is that life is a gift from God, and every part of that recently dead person's body is to be honoured - "you don't leave the gift of God lying in the street".

Life is precious - a gift, which, I believe, continues and transcends the physical limits of this world as we know it.

So why don't we WANT to die, in order to move on to the better place?
Simply because life IS precious - also, we are kind of used to what we know and mostly love (and it's amazing how much we put up with, too!).
Hope that wasn't too heavy for you all - but then, I did warn you!
G.

2 comments:

  1. Gerald...In the Rob Thomas song 'Someday', I think he sums it up with the phrase "maybe someday we'll live our lives out loud"

    Never stop shouting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wayne!
    Will bear that in mind!
    Shout for me too, mate!

    ReplyDelete