Monday, May 18, 2009

Music transcends

Today I was privileged to assess 2 of my year 13 group performances.

One group performed an original song called Polynesian Heaven - a song about living in "South Auckland" and seeing the beauty of the p[lace and the people while the media seeks to paint a different picture.

Sublime lyrics, tune, vocals and guitar playing.

The group went on to perform "On Eagle's Wings" - confident and assured throughout.

The second group were noticeably less confident with their first song, which shows the dangers of being unprepared...

Their second song though was the flipside - a joyous, infectious, confident and creative setting of "My Uncle John From Jamaica", with a delicious marimba line.

I have the best job in the world.

The ironic thing is that I actually get paid for it!!!!

Nevertheless, I "escaped" from my Polynesian Heaven at 1.10 to attend my "cafe heaven" with Lois, and then on to Cancer Society for a counselling session with Rebecca L - useful and positive, I found.

Physically feeling GREAT today - thanks for your prayers etc. - DON'T STOP, eh?

Much love to youse all.

By the way, you will have a chance to hear 3 delightful vocalists from my school at the start of the Psalms Concert - if you are there, of course!

Gerald.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Gerald -- It's great to hear that chemo isn't proving too gruelling, and it hasn't got in the way of your enjoyment and love of life. In fact, quite the opposite, if the purple wig is any indication. And thanks for the Lou Reed recommendation ... it is a *very* long time since anyone recommended Mr Reed to me, but I'll try to locate 'magic & loss' -- my bro might have it, or there is always the library (I'll taste & see before I buy!). Good to know that you're taking advantage of the resources at the Cancer Society -- they have an amazing library (free) and an invaluable information team you can phone about anything to do with your treatment. If you're on steroids to control nausea, that might account for your healthy appetite! Much love, and I hope & pray you breeze through round 2, Deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deirdre.
    If you get stuck with searching for Magic and Loss, let me know, as I have a copy.
    I am also very fond of a guy called Eric Bibb - gospel blues/folk - VERY positive and healing songs....hard to listen to without smiling at with a deep sense of peace.
    It is definitely a gift of some description or other to have a sensitivity to music - it takes me away to different places (I have never used artificial stimulants to get "high" - only music!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of Dexamethasone as an artificial stimulant, but I guess it is (just kidding!). Thanks for the offer re Lou Reed -- might take you up on it if I can't track it down en famille. Of course, I can listen to it (and Mr Bibb) on Youtube, but my computer is speakerless (yes, really, they still exist!), and the headset is mono, so not great for music. I agree about music ... I'm sure it raises the endorphins. God bless, D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good and flukey to see you at Marbeck's today! Email me about coffee - geraldvw@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't it? On my way there I was thinking about William Temple's comment that 'When I pray, coincidences happen, and when I don't, they don't.'It was actually apropos my need for a 10-minute free parking space! (And no, I wasn't really praying for a park ... but my Dad was very fond of that particular quote, AND he was very good at finding parking spaces ... I hope you can see the connection??!!) Anyway, I found the park (thank you, St Patrick!). Hence got to Marbecks. I think meeting you might have been the coincidence. You're looking great by the way. I'll look forward to coffee ... it might not be till after the Creative NZ deadline on 5 June. I'll email. All power to that juicy cocktail you were carrying around with you in the meantime! D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement!
    Yes, a very providential kind of coincidence.
    Is your Dad still around?
    If so, what up to?
    Yes, hope the juicy cocktail does its job - I'm imbibing a whisky at present, however...
    Catch up with you after the 5th then...
    G.

    ReplyDelete