Saturday, May 30, 2009

Brrr...(ian Eno)

Queen's Birthday weekend...eh?...eh??

Weather commenced fine but degenerated into something wet and miserable during our post-lunch perambulation.

Wish I could say the walk was scenic, but it is hard to see much from the inside of a rain hood.

I am hoping that I will get a bit more "fitness" back, as I find myself a little short of breath - I love walking, though, so hopefully the breath will return!

We have spent the morning preparing for Richard and Ruth's visit - the 10 days will fly by, but will hopefully be sweet and special.

On Lois's recent Sydney sojourn she bought herself a colourful jumper, like the ones I wear - so we look like twins now!

Well, almost...

I am a bit jealous of her because she gets to see Brian Eno's light sculpture thingy on the sails of the Sydney Opera House...for the uninitiated, Brian Eno was a foundation member of Roxy Music. He left after a squabble with Bryan Ferry, and went on to produce some of the most influential albums of the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s, including Bowie's Low and Heroes, Talking Heads More Songs About Buildings and Food, Remain in Light, U2's Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby (cowriter of One), and lately Paul Simon's Surprise and Coldplay's Viva La Vida (to name but a few!).

He is the creator/proponent of "ambient music" and responsible for introducing the features of minimalism to the pop world.

With David Byrne he pioneered the technique of "sampling" in an album entitled "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts".

Worth listening to?

Definitely!

I hear that he is also the composer of the Microsoft opening-up musical motif, so he's probably rich, influential though not famous.

Hear endeth the lesson!

G.

2 comments:

  1. we saw Brian Eno's sound and light scapes in Hannersmith Riverside Studios when Jamie was in a buggy - about 25 years ago! very groovy!
    Hello, by the way - I'm just on the other side of your living room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does technology improve or inhibit communication?

    ReplyDelete