Thursday, May 28, 2009

"...the Days of Our Lives..."

My perspective on life is a little different from what it was about 97 blogs ago.

When I wake up in the morning (if not too tired) I think to myself "what will I do today that will make an impact/a difference in this world?"

I think over the last few years I had been heading towards this mindset...now it is underlined with a little frisson of urgency.

My life now focuses a LOT on people, time with people, time with God, appreciating what is there rather than hoping/wishing/stressing out about what is not.

Hard to discern trends at this early stage, but I do seem to be a little short-tempered soon after chemo...sometimes a little dizzy/breathless.

On Monday we learnt that Sophie has been accepted for a scholarship to St Cuthbert's College (a private girls' school in Auckland, with a good reputation for arts and literature, and probably other things.

This is after having to write her own cv, sitting 2 exams, attending 2 interviews...yes I am chuffed - we all are, and I know she will make the most of the opportunity.

It's also a relief, of course, as Lois and I have big question marks over financial security etc. (no, I am not stressed out about this, but it would be naive to assume all will automatically fall into place).

Meanwhile, Alexander rides the "exam roller-coaster" (ends tomorrow, with Art and Humanities).

This has been my first week with a new teacher in my team...Lee Harford, a musical, humorous, warm-hearted Samoan/Cook Island lady who is with us at least till the end of the year.

But tomorrow I am the only one of our team of 4 who is IN school (ironic, eh?).

We have clicked very well, and it is brilliant to have team-teaching going on in the classroom.

The students have responded extremely well, and of course one can cover twice as much in a lesson - if only this type of arrangement was "de rigeur"!

For those of you contemplating team teaching, a couple of observations so far...

Decide in advance who will "lead" the lesson.

Ensure you are comfortable sharing the space/time/focus.

Have common rules/expectations.

Enjoy the sharing.

Today the school band had its final practice of "How Bizarre" and "One Day" and I got some great harmony backing from Lee and "the girls" who came to support.

I booked us in for year 10 assembly which I now have to ubdo because next Wednesday is Chemo day (I actually felt so well yesterday and today I was "tempted" not to go next Wed...don't worry, I realise that would be silly really).

A girl greeted me as I headed out to my blood test on Tuesday with the unforgettable question "Hi, Sir, how's the cancer?"...to which I replied "very good, thank you"!

What else would I say?

"Oh, it really sucks and I hate the thought of dying so young"?

Don't get me wrong - I am not trivialising my mortality, however it comes back to grabbing each day by the proverbials and not letting go.

"More bang for your buck".

So, as I await the text from Lois to say she's touched down, I reflect on the events of today and think "how lucky to have had another gorgeous, glorious day lived at full tilt".

And it certainly puts the paperwork in perspective too...

My friend/colleague Theo is in Middlemore hospital with an enflamed shoulder, which nobody can account for.

He had a second op today and will be there at least till Saturday - I think they're putting a little pipeline into him similar to mine for his antibiotics...3 of us in our carpool, so that just leaves Kerry for some rewiring/replumbing!

Many things have happened this week but I wanted tonight's entry to be a bit more of where I'm at rather than what has happened.

A quote from John Waters (director of the original "Hairspray" movie): "Getting into Art is like joining a biker gang".

70th birthday of "Gone With the Wind" today..."frankly, my dear, I don't give a ....".

Goodnight!

G.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to Sophie - I knew she could do it! I was talking to Sarah Hardacre's mum on Friday. Sarah was one of Sophie's peers at HPS and she is a pupil at St.Cuthbert's and is loving it. They live in Belfast St I think and she takes Sarah to school. Orchestra practice at 7.30am apparently! A ride for Sophie too perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has groovy possibilities!

    I think we will be in touch with Sarah's mum...

    If you see Gafa, plz pass on the news!

    G.

    ReplyDelete