Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Not Nazi Germany...

First scheduled day today.
After a porta-cath flush at Ak hospital, I zoom down SH1 to O.C.
I arrive in good time, and join everyone in the staff room.
There are a number of new staff, some of whom I get to meet thru the team-building exercise.

One of these exercises involves getting into groups according to Zodiacal signs.
As we are chatting about when our birthdays are, it transpires that one of our colleagues is wondering what Pisces is, what the Zodiac/horoscope is, and, being born on 23rd May, should be with the Taurans!
An example of why we needn't assume anything!

After school (when did school actually happen?) we are treated to drinks and nibbles in the staff room, during which we (the group I find myself in) have an animated discussion about the merits of having a Military Academy on our school grounds.
I am morally opposed to anything which affirms/accepts/condones a.) killing, b.) a situation in which questions are NOT to be asked and choices become limited by external forces, and c.) institutions which reinforce negative gender stereotyping (this includes rugby, I have to say!).
BUT, when I heard the name of a boy who wants to go into the Academy, I thought "what an excellent career move - it'll make a man of him!"
And I bet all those brownshirts and Hitlerjugend were also struck by the excellent career opportunities that Hitler opened up to them in the 30s...

3 comments:

  1. My Birthday is May 22nd and I am a Gemini, so I guess your friend is a little confused.
    I am not into astrology, I already know what my future holds, and am looking forward to it.
    The Lord told me that 'He knows the plans he has for me", so I will continue to trust in Him.... Horror Scope is a good name for them I think.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My birthday is none of the Internet's business and I am a Christian, so I think "andrew" is a little confused. Just a little, though.

    Sol was in the constellation of Ophiuchus (formerly known as Serpentarius) when I was born. I bet your team-building groups organiser didn't have a group for Ophiuchan teachers. But school's the best place for an education, eh. Anyway, it's a clear case of both religious and birthdate discrimination.

    Barnard's Star, the 4th closest star to Sol (after the Alpha Centauri system) is in Ophiuchus. Barnard's Star is not visible to the naked eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, indeed! I guess my colleague had been living in a state of blessed ignorance. He had confused Pisces with spicey, however.
    Ian, don't forget that the "wise men" were astrologers...
    Not that I'm in favour of astrology - yet another way of undermining faith in God (and not the only way).

    ReplyDelete