Sunday, February 21, 2010

Lent Resolution

I have made what I believe is a momentous decision.
For Lent this year I have decided to give up...WORRYING!

Surely I, of all people, have a "right" to worry?!
Death awaits me in the fairly near future...
My wife is quite unwell, and jobless.
Expenses keep rolling in like the balmy breakers of the Pacific...

And yet, a powerful message came through to me at church today (thanks, Fred!).
The act/mindset of worrying about stuff can easily distract us from a walk of Faith, of Hope and of Love (you really must come to my gig on 28th March if you're in town, where you can hear my songs of the same titles!).
I also wrote a song, about 20 years ago, called "Come to Me", which paraphrases Jesus's words of encouragement - "Do you think that worry can add a day to your life?/ Reach out to Me and I will take away your strife".

Not only is worry a distraction and even an act of disobedience (in the sense of not trusting), it is also a sap on the ol' energy levels.
Instead of expending so much energy on worrying about my pain, my death, uncertain futures, brushing my teeth, the Government, NCEA, my weight, my shoulder, money, etc., darn it, I am going to discipline myself to handing over my worries to my Father, who is the Only One who can make sense of them and can do anything about them...

MY energy will be spent on celebrating the life that He has given me, that I share with family and friends, and following my Shepherd through the valley of the deathly shadow, beside still waters, through green valleys.
At least till Easter (tho hopefully beyond)!
Let me know if you want to join me in this journey!

Currently listening to the ORIGINAL studio recording of Jesus Christ Superstar - wonderfully remastered.
Purchased this, Bob's remastered Rastaman Vibration and Beatles' White Album.
The Lent discipline of Enjoyment has BEGUN!
GRRRRR!!

No comments:

Post a Comment