Sunday, April 25, 2010

BLOG 450 - Happy 100th Birthday, Doris Baxter!

Grandma Baxter turned 100 last Monday.
Today we attended an afternoon tea in her honour.
Many, many Baxters and Baxter-associates (people like me) were there.
As is the case with most of these things, the numbers were huge and there was a great noise of family and friend catch-ups going on.
Thankfully, being the shy and retiring person that I am, it was possible to have a pleasant and stress-free arvo simply catching up with Lois's immediate family (she has 6 siblings, 5 of whom were there this afternoon).

Yesterday I attended a rugby match!
VERY out-of-character for me, I know, but you only live once, life is short, and...it was the O.C. First XV v Auckland Grammar 1st XV.
A very enjoyable time (great when you only have to watch and shout occasionally!), lovely weather, and I ate my first feijoas for a lonnng time as I watched our lads battle with one of the most reputable teams in the country (a bit of disrepute last year of course).
Also good to bump into Janice G again!

Watched 2 very good films on DVD yesterday ..."Big Fish" (Tim Burton) and "Closer" (Mike Nichols).
"Big Fish" has amongst many other qualities, a beautiful ending, and "Closer" features a tight, intense script and outstanding performances from Clive Owen (what else has he done?), Jude Law, Julia Roberts and Natalie Portman - this one not suitable for children.

Stuff Coming Up - Chemo 4 this Thu - we are planning on being gypsies!
Van Morrison Celebration at O.C. Wed 5 May 7pm (exact venue to be confirmed).
Sat, May 22nd (God willing, etc.) MRBC, 7pm - "Dark Glasses".

Over and out!

6 comments:

  1. 22 May 2010 also marks the 30th anniversary of Pac Man being first released in Japan.

    I didn't like the ending of Big Fish. The person I watched it with liked it but I figured for it to have been a good ending the stories throughout the movie would have to have been something other than lies. Like... the truth, for example (I mean the truth within the movie). But it was forgettable enough that I cannot now remember why I came to that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry...I don't quite get this. My understanding was that there WAS quite a bit of truth mixed up in the story-telling, and this is what we see in the very final sequence.
    The penultimate sequence is also cool because it uses all the big fish stories and makes sense of them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it showed they were actually quite false, but slightly inspired by "actual" people, who were misrepresented in the false stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We may never know...
    I like the transformation of the Chinese Siamese twins...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, too long since I saw it. The giant is the only one I remember with much clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The giant was a very sweet character...but I have forgotten his name now!

    ReplyDelete