Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Wheel is Turning and You Can't Slow Down

Collage of Sophie
(by Sophie, Feb 2009. Before this blog was born)


I am leading a titillating life.
I am watching the Big Dipper ladle his milky goodness into the hole in the ozone.
I had a perky little toy cat once, Jumpy Haddock. He retreated to my top shelf to gather dust when I was about seven.
I had a certain interest for cookie dough ice cream, but that faded when I was introduced to Saucy As.
I thought that material things could quench my soul's thirst.
And now at 11 years, 11 months ...

I have seen many a rainbow pass without a pot of gold,
I have heard the cicada's incessant aria rendering me sleepless,
I have smelt the excuses for dinner burnt to a crisp in the oven that was turned to grill by accident.

I know that the wheel is the most useful invention yet.
I know that things pass and die, but I don't think anything ever really ceases to exist.

I don't know why the Earth is round, although it is what we have been told since we arrived in it.
I despise people that need scientific proof for something to be tangible.
I hate how there is only one answer to each maths question, and how flowers lose their beauty with every silken petal that droops.
I love the fresh, sweet vibes of musical creativity.

I used to love flying in aeroplanes, but have grown to detest the turbulence and the foul smells of the processed foods.
I've lost my room under cluttered mounds of obliterated, discarded items.

I'm looking for this year to be one of undying prosperity and harmony.
And my heart is wandering, stumbling, relentlessly searching for the last safe place.

(published with permission, more or less ...)




For Sophie, in response
(by Sophie's Mum, Dec 2009)


My heart wanders, too, and is glad of your company. There is no place without challenge.
But the safe place is inside of me, and I carry it with me everywhere.
I'm looking forward to next year, to more complexity, learning, experiencing and unjumbling.

I've lost my innocence under tangles of living and learning. It was a starting point, fragile and temporary.
I still love flying on aeroplanes, getting off and being in some other, more vulnerable place.

I love the scent of hearts, minds and souls on fire, burning for the sake of the new.
And, too, the completion of real life puzzles, chaos settling into painful, mathematical beauty.
Loss is gain. Boundaries inspire creativity. Hurt forces direction.
And the earth is any shape at all - it depends on the viewing-point.

From where, to where, why, and for whom?
The world is charged, God's grandeur flames out, flashes of brilliance, full of danger and exhilaration.

Sustenance, carefree moments,
Happy disturbed sleep,
Treasure made valuable by its rarity.

And now, at 47 years, 3 months
I know that all souls and bodies thirst
Turning and turning and turning and comforted and comforting.

(with love )

No comments:

Post a Comment