Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Retro Sounds

I am thinning down our CD collection, which tends to wax and wane.
I am finding myself drawn to the sounds of the 70s, definitely MY formative musical years.
As I blog, I am listening to Jethro Tull's "Passion Play" from around 1972.
This followed "Thick As a Brick" and is similarly a throughcomposed magnum opus in proggy/folky style.
I was first turned on to Tull by my sister Plonie, who had a copy of TAaB.
She also had a stereo with huge speakers with blue padding on the box. Impressive!
(In her collection she had Paul Simon, S and G, Leonard Cohen, Art Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, The Beatles...MANY things that became MINE in terms of taste).
I used to love going for a sleepover at her flat/house and trawling through her LPs (in fact I did this with all my sisters - Carla had loads of S and G, Marjan had loads of Wagner and Verdi, Joke had loads of classical stuff, and one of her Hamilton friends had Bowie's Ziggy Stardust - once I heard "5 Years" I was away!)...
My "eternal" faves, which I have no intention of thinning down, are Van Morrison, Bob Marley, Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam, Paul Simon, Sinead O'Connor, but I also have some very "well represented" artists there...hmm...I sense a series of profiles about to appear (will I lose my "audience"/"readership" though?).
Aaah, well, time to help the Hare find his spectacles!

Get it?

Love,

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment