Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Designed To Die"?

Did that grab your attention?

The title comes from a conversation I had with my "Cancer Counsellor" yesterday.
Her name is Rebecca L, and she works at the Cancer Society.
I get free counselling here - brilliant.
I was sharing with her, amongst other things, my dread of pain if and when I get to the last stages of my life - I have witnessed, at first hand, what appeared to be uncomfortable, painful deaths, and also talked to a man whose wife's cancer had spread into her brain and left her unable to control her thoughts, etc.

Rebecca first talked about the individual's power to control the pain relief in the final stages.
Then about the body's ability to close itself down/"die" without too much discomfort/pain.
She observed that with most deaths it is those who are left behind who experience the grief - usually the dying person is not too stressed about it.
Then she said "we are designed to die".
This was not said in a callous way at all - in fact, I found it immensely comforting.
I mean, think about it - Death and Taxes - we will all go thru these 2 traumas in our own way and time.
Afterwards, though, I remembered that, yes, the body is designed to die, BUT we, as spiritual beings also, are designed to live forever!
Let there be no doubt about this also (just had that "Death is not the End" song playing again).
Thanks, Rebecca!

2 bum notes from the hospital...

1. Labtests failed to do my cancer marker test and get it to the hospital - what on earth is going to happen about this crisis in blood testing in Auckland? Whoever it was on the ADHB who decided to trash Diagnostic Med Lab and go for cheap, inexperienced labour has a LOT to answer for - it's on a par with NCEA...but more potentially fatal and distressing in the short term.

2. I have developed an incisional hernia, i.e. a hernia (rupture) caused by the surgery. Because these things are very tricky and complex to operate on, Dr Thompson was quite emphatic that I needn't have surgery unless and until it becomes more of a problem - watch this space (and not my tummy).

Upsides from yesterday included Christine Fa'amausili joining the Blog Crew - welcome, Christine! - and a lovely dinner visit from "old Uni friend" (AND co-lodger from London days), Read Gainsford.

Read is performing a concert on Fri eve at the Raye Freedman Centre (Epsom Girls' Grammar) - a wonderful selection of piano pieces including Liszt's Piano Sonata in B minor and Shostakovich's Dolly Pieces (?).

And so passes the first Post-Chemo blog (assuming the last cycle ended yesterday) - needless to say, I am trying not to over-react to every little twinge of pain that comes my way.

If I come across as a little paranoid, well, it's all their fault...

Love,

G.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Gerald, (there, are you happy?)lol

    Woah! Im in your blog entry.. I feel famous! hahahaha!
    My dad works at the New Zealand Blood Service in Epsom so if your lab tests have anything to do with him I apologize in advance( i doubt it though) hehe
    We are designed to die, If someone said that to me, Id bolt for the door! lol but it makes sense doesnt it, and to me it kinda acts like a safety net sorta thing. You can either choose to whine about life or embrace it to the best of your ability, live and breathe everyday as it comes. I guess Im not quite at the embracing part yet,uni does that to you :)but I feel through my faith Im getting there.
    I wish I was a little more riskier and this and that, you know what Im like Gerald, but Im happy and content with who I am and what Im here for and I guess thats a start, well for me anyways.
    Have you heard of the Ten Virgins musical parabel?? Its about nourishing your faith everyday, but how you do that is something constantly running through my mind, and then I cranked up Brooke Fraser's Albertine once again for the millionth time and she sings,

    "Faith without deeds is dead"

    and I slapped my forehead like how Homer does on The Simpsons. Lol.
    Serving others is the best way isnt it?? Like how you did after Miss Kims wedding? So now,it feels like Ive found an answer, yet again I feel theres so much more, I know theres so much more but I guess this will have to do for now.

    OMG I just scrolled up and realised Ive been ranting on quite a bit, oh well, its what these blogs are here for right?? hehe

    Have a great day Gerald.

    Love and Light

    Chris :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gerald,

    So I found this article and I found it quite refreshing, its about songwriting and what not lol im in rush here but thought youd enjoy it.
    Go to this web address below and read!

    Chris..

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-foreman/goodness-precedes-greatne_b_322551.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    no particular connection but here's a new recording of an old song you'll remember, which we're doing at my institution service:
    www.dormandy.co.uk/richard/music/music/Lord-I-Pray.mp3 - take a listen!
    love,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Christine.
    Apologies for non-immediate response - a very busy week last week (will blog about it tonight).
    Your comment about making discoveries and realising that there is so much more...
    This is exactly what I experiened when I first became a follower of jesus...
    Everything appeared shiny and new, and then there were layers to things, like an onion - every time I read something I had a new revelation, and this was followed by further ones.
    The thing is, there is ALWAYS more to discover, in this life and probably beyond as well.
    Stay open, questioning and realise that there is always more...but don't be scared of it!

    Richard, thanks for the link.

    When is your "institution"?

    Will pray (for my "brother"!).

    Loads of love to you both,

    Gerald.

    ReplyDelete
  5. institution is on Sunday.
    I'm in a funny place:
    1) want to get on with the job;
    2) need to bat away flying crap - distracting and deflating
    3) want to ignore crap
    4) can't totally ignore crap
    5) too much energy going into Hamlet moments: "to ignore or not to ignore, that is the question."
    6) answer: draw up another action plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard, your institution is today!
    I hope it is a lovely time for all concerned!
    1. Yes, get on with the job! How would you write your job description?
    2. Is it you that needs to spend time batting the crap? Is that part of your JD, and if you bat it away, does that take time and energy away from your main work?
    3. Ignore crap - some of it best to be ignored 'cos it's only small stuff from small headspaces - in 5 years' time it will be much more insignificant than preaching the good news and helping people turn to and grow in Christ.
    4. Choose which crap will serve your mission and God's purposes best - some crap is good because it fertilises seeds and plants.
    5. Hamlet was a sad bloke - his equicocation was a symptom of his psychosis. Pray, decide, act (in faith) and enjoy - "count it all work"!
    6. Draw up the plan as and when you wish - enjoy the journey and your calling - thru God you are big and strong - without Him we are all nothing.

    Much love and prayer to you - let me know how it all goes.

    G.

    ReplyDelete