Saturday, October 24, 2009

Things Heat Up Again

As you can tell, I haven't been able to report the last couple of evenings.
On Thursday night I attended the Service Awards at school.
The guest speaker was Clint Samesia who, strangely enough, I had met when he was a student and I an English teacher back in Term 1 1990.
He said he remembered my eyes!
He spoke very well about service - turning up on time, listening and the Samoan concept of "Tautua" (similar to Maori "Tautoko"?) - supporting those who are your representatives.
It was a lovely evening - I thoroughly relished giving certificates to "my kids" - those who have committed themselves to Music groups through the years.

And last night was also very special.
Maria D., a colleague at school, invited me to her place for a Music Evening.
She and her husband are Iranian, and they had invited 2 friends, Hamid and Elizabeth (sp?), who play santoor (a hammered dulcimer, not unlike a zither or cimbalom) and hand drums respectively.
I played some viola, then we had 2 songs from Hamid, Elizabeth and Maria, who sings with a rich, strong voice, then I played and sang some rock'n'roll.
The food was EXCELLENT also, and my colleague Rosemary T and her husband Richard were also there.
Great company!
Persian rugs everywhere (Maria and family/friends are Persian as opposed to Arabic) - gorgeous!

The week ahead is also looking busy - if anyone is free on Wed, we are having our a cappella finals at school starting at 7pm - should be a special, fun (and short) time!
Meanwhile trying to adjust to the hernia and not hold my bitterness about Labtests and NZQA too tightly...
Such a beautiful day today (3 - 4 hours in the garden)!
Relishing this fantastic Youssou N'Dour album, "Nothing is in Vain"...brimming with energy, beauty and good things.

Love,

Gerald.

3 comments:

  1. Rock 'n' Roll is 3 words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your eyes are extremely unusual - so much white underbelly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexander...
    3 words, 3 chords (3 bands??)...
    Richard - huh?
    G.

    ReplyDelete