Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Just Like Job

In case you hadn't noticed, I am feeling a bit Job-like at the moment.
We have had quite a bit of teaching and preaching about this guy lately.
For those of you who aren't "in the know", a brief explanation.
Job is a guy in the bible who is extremely wealthy, successful, famous, healthy, happy, righteous, etc.
In one or two fell swoops, the Devil, given a "free reign" by God, wipes out virtually all of these happiness ingredients in Job's life, except for his wife (and as a recent preacher pointed out, anyone who has a wife who comes out with the line "curse God and die" has cause to wonder about "matrimonial bliss"!!).
Job has 3 friends who arrive on the scene, and spend a week on their knees in silence, praying.
It is only when they open their mouths with "helpful advice" that the stress begins.
A 40-chapter discussion takes place, finishing with God speaking to Job, and pointing out that God's ways are not our ways and that "it ain't why, it just is" (a quote from Van Morrison)....

I have many good friends who have been holding and hugging me over the last week or so, without the "good advice" - thank you.
I am also conscious of those who feel helpless to help or support and wish that there was even just one thing they could do for me.
Only pray.
And hug.
Love.
When I am gone, you will remember these hugs and this love probably more than anything else.
And I want you to remember my love more than anything else.

On which note, apologies to anyone out there in blogland who may feel I have been less than loving with you! (...just because Labtests have treated me shoddily doesn't mean I have to hate the people!)
There is a brilliant song out there on You Tube by Jubilation Choir, written by Rick Bryant, called "Learn to Forgive" (I think), and Sophie and I are going to ee them this Fri.
Malcolm McA, teacher from school, has a sister who sings the solo in this song...it is beautiful!
The concert is at 8pm at Mangere East Metro Theatre (Massey Rd?) - $25 adults, $15 students, $5 groups 10 or more.
And don't forget The Ultimate Showcase and Music Awards at my school next Tuesday at 7pm!!
If you are in Auckland that night, and free, come along and enjoy some superb and passionate music making.

Which brings me to tonight's concert - the A Cappella Finals at O.C.
Hillary Samuela came 3rd - she is in my tutor group - the rest of her group didn't turn up, which was disappointing, but she sang so well by herself, I was so proud of her!
Next up were "Blessed", a trio of Year 10 girls, 2 from my Music class and one from Kirsty's - a lot of potential and already starting to gain substantial confidence as performers (2nd place).
Last were The Dreamers - a trio of girls I have already raved about on these pages (see my report on the Last Chemo) - Christine Fetuiai, Sulieti Finau and Losa Iakopo.
What harmonies, warmth, "tightness", confidence and expression.
These girls make me so proud! And happy and moved and hopeful and strong.
You will eventually find a clip of their performances on You Tube I think - Andy will let me know
when the clip is up.
I also want to thank Theo, Barry and Malcolm for having the guts to get up and sing "Working on the Railroad" with me as light relief!

Christine Fe's uncle passed away this morning.
And that takes me back to the start of this blog - this young woman has lost so many family recently, and this uncle took a special interest in her musical gifts.
What could I say to her?
Hugs, hugs, hugs - let the sorrow out.
Please pray for her.
......and I told her to come into school tomorrow.
Heartless?
Not in my experience - she will gain strength from following the routines, and she will have the support of friends and family at school.

Till tomorrow (hopefully the blogsite will load a bit faster!!).

Love,

G.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sir,
    I myself feel a tad helpless, i must admit i wish there was more i could do/say. Although i was never taught by you in a classroom setting, i learnt many things from you over the years, things to do with music and life in general, things i will never forget. I remember when i was younger in my first year at OC even, when i arrived at the music suite to ask you about joining the school choir, i was so nervous but soon felt part of the music department family it was one of the hardest things to say goodbye to when finishing my seventh form year. I apologize for not coming in to visit more this year life has been incredibly cruel in so many ways, just please know that i am thinking of you and my prayers are with you and your family. I admire your strength and courage in tackling everything that comes your way.

    -Sash
    -Virtual hugs-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sasha!
    Thank you for sharing your memories with us here in Blogland!
    I am trying to work out whether life has been cruel for you or for me.
    Either way...cruelty...our expectations are often not met in the ways we desire...
    There may well be cruelty, BUT....love does triumph over all, including death, at the end.
    Of that I am convinced, although it doesn't stop the heartaches and heartbreaks along the way.
    The heart...the only organ in our body that cancer doesn't seem to be able to attack!
    It breaks and dies in a multitude of other ways.
    If you're in Ak next Tue, come on down to the Showcase!

    G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a link to the You Tube clip of the Dreamers singing.....enjoy...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7baQUmCIfo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sir will most likely pop along.
    Just to confirm: The showcase is on tues the 3rd? also it are tickets the same price as they were when we were at OC? annnd can i also be a pain and pay at the door?
    Hope your doing well, isn't the weather we're having today fantastic!

    ReplyDelete