Saturday, September 25, 2010

I take a simple view

... of living - keep your eyes open and get on with it. (Laurence Olivier)

I seem to have confused people with a comment around law school, sorry -

So, to clarify, it's like this:
I'm in the process of dropping 1 of the 4 papers.
If I can carry on with the other 3 and pass them somehow, any old how, I will not lose the year.
If I can only do 2 papers the situation is quite different.
I have 3 weeks max to make up my mind about these remaining 3 papers.
Exams start in 4 weeks + 5 days.
The aim would be to compensate for the inevitable poor results by truly excellent results in the following years.

K?

Fact is, I love what I am doing. Academia wouldn't be for me, I need to Make Something Happen, but I love learning this new discipline (that could change!).

Always I've needed to tone down my awareness of complexity, feel for different perspectives, and tendency to argue. Suddenly these are strengths!

Added to which, I really enjoy using language with precision, humour and creativity, and love considering that nexus between logic and behaviour that results in us people Doing what we Do.
Law seems to be all about people and their stories (What Goes Wrong and Why), applying, in varying proportions, a set of rules for the sake of certainty, and substantive considerations to correct power imbalances.

Gerald has a parotid gland infection (like mumps) that he's not excited about ... due to lack of fluid probably. Antibiotic and fluid drip will hopefully do the trick.

Some days he is a little brighter than others, still mostly sleeping and eyes shut, a little more wakeful toward evening.
Perhaps improving in spirits overall? I think?

Daylight saving starts, dark cold mornings with the promise of the still cicada'd afternoons of summer to come ...

L

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes with the university dilemma Lois - it must be very difficult to decide what to do for the best. If you can summon the energy and determination, fight for what you want. Somehow uni's create the impression that we are privileged to study at the feet of their greatness, but just remember that you are the 'customer'. They should be bending over backwards to help you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>>I really enjoy using language with precision, humour and creativity, and love considering that nexus between logic and behaviour that results in us people Doing what we Do

    Sounds a lot like writing a novel... See you soon.

    ReplyDelete