Friday, May 7, 2010

Van Morrison Celebration (an account)

As mentioned before, it was VERY important for me to get this celebration done while my health permits.
I am a huge Van fan, and in that fanatic way wanted to do his music honour AND introduce it to "a bunch of kids from South Auckland".
Frustrated in Term 1 by the sheer level of disruption to the regular school timetable, I postponed the celebration to 5th May, week 3 of term 2.
I was glad I did, as it meant we had a clear run in most preparation schedules for the groups.
And some groups needed it!
FF to 5th May, and really, the time between end of school and the concert were some of the most disheartening, disillusioning moments of time I've spent!
Kids missing practices, kids calling in sick, kids suddenly not being able to make it due to "family circumstances" - blahblahblah...
This kind of thing gets harder and harder to get together year on year, as every year kids seem to have less sense of what is required....
Thankfully Theo, my longtime sidekick/sound-light man/adviser/everything and I managed to escape for a while, eat some KFC and lighten up.
We relocated from the Hall to the Dance/Drama Suite - smaller, cosier venue - we ended up having to get more and more seats for the audience - it was packed!
I loved the range of acts, from a couple of people singing, thru woodwind and string groups, thru to large bands and including "the singing principal", Gil Laurenson.
I also loved seeing old students coming back to support, and young ones emerging as exciting performers...
A great night - a night I think Van would have enjoyed, seeing the enthusiasm and sensitivity of the students to his songs.
A fantabulous night...
Thanks, everyone!
Thanks, Van!

No comments:

Post a Comment