Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cancer Update

Tomorrow I go back into chemo.
Yesterday Lois and I met with Paul Thompson to talk about where things are at.
My cancer markers dropped down to 160 over the 2 weeks that I had a holiday from chemo, from 269,
Paul was surprised by this, as he had expected the count to go up.
This trend encouraged Paul to recommend going back into chemo and keeping a close eye on the markers and my comfort/pain levels.
After "one of those nights" in which mortality gets weighed up with pain and rational thought competes with intuition, and the daily grind pits itself against residual dreaming and inspiration, I have decided to go ahead with the chemo.
On condition that my comfort/pain levels stay good.
I do not relish and will not abide days of squirming in agony on a sofa with only the cat for company (lovable though he is).
Paul did say he thought I may see Christmas this year.
Unlikely to see Christmas 2011.
But he does get things wrong!
Chemo is designed to buy a few months extra time, and as the champion footballers among us know, extra time is a mixed blessing, and not much fun if you're on the losing side!
So, watch this space.
A spiritual adviser pointed out that I am by nature an optimistic/hopeful person and that I do need to go with this aspect of my character.
I have concerts, CDs and compositions still to complete, and fully relish getting into these things, as well as nurturing the wonderful teenagers I deal with every day (including my own!).
So, there we are...
For now...

6 comments:

  1. Good on you, Gerald. You are an inspiration to all of us, though none envy your situation...
    Stay positive, but also realistic. You've crammed a lot of living into the year just gone by and are making the most of every day. I will keep up the Reiki and hope that it makes a difference. Love you lots, little brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep smiling mate. I'll look out for you when Joy & I return for July-August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerald, so pleased you're going ahead...I'm still praying for healing. I'll book you in for Christmas drinks now (Christmas 2011, that is!)
    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good plan. No pressure, but looking forward to your NEXT concert. Yay to optimism and hope - thanks for sharing them (and yourself) with us all so freely. You are amazing.
    Ruth would like you to do some busking in the oncology ward Jun 8-10 when she is there next please. I'll be there with her on June 8 and will have my wallet (and camera!) with me just in case :)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah but the true footballers among us know that extra time is always good - even if you're on the losing side... because it affords more opportunities to score consolation goals, perform heroic tackles, pull off miraculous passes, stretch for redeeming saves (they kind of offset the goals previously let in).
    The biggest problem with extra time is tired legs - which affects both teams. Ponder these things and hum deeply !!
    God bless,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Yeah, keep it all up, Joke! Feeling real good so far...
    2.Looking forward to another session at Galbraith's!
    3.Christmas 2011 it is! I will hold you to that (though not in a spooky way)...
    4. Jill, pass me specific time and venue for 8th and 10th June, and I will be there. Also, any requests?
    5. A brilliantly explored metaphor, Richard. I guess it really is a game of two halves then...

    ReplyDelete