Monday, May 31, 2010

"Fat Freddy's Drop" (concert review)

I'd been looking forward to this for some time, with my friend Kerry.
We were not disappointed.
The Bruce Mason Centre filled up and we managed to get good seats in the General Admission section.

The curtains went up and there were the 10 Freddies, backed by a lovely lighting effect of small stars in an evening constellation.
The concert was beautiful - spacy, proggy, trippy, creative, evocative, moving...
4 brass, 1 DJ, one keys, 1 guitar, lead guitar and vox, 2 backing vox.

I loved the way the music began as something, then morphed slowly, surprisingly into something else - at times it was like a meeting/jam session with Pink Floyd and Bob Marley...
The music, I'm happy to say, was beyond categorisation!

The brass players were a total knockout - songs delivered with beauty, passion and a generous dollop of humour at times...

My one, small reservation was that the front man really didn't make much effort to build rapport with the audience - on one level I suppose unnecessary, but on another level a bit gauche (reminded me of Bryan Ferry fronting Roxy Music at Sweetwaters back in 1980 - BIG disappointment).

Still, musically (and the mix was superb, thank you, techies), one of the best gigs I've attended in the last few years.

All the best on your European jaunt, Freddies!

No comments:

Post a Comment