Sunday, May 23, 2010

"Dark Glasses" account...

I guess that if I was throwing a party these days and invited all my friends and family, it would look or feel something like this...Yours Truly on stage singing songs written by self, backed up by a wonderful band with exquisitely mixed sound, and followed by wonderful chocolate cake!

In many ways last night was a lot like some huge reunion of colleagues, students, friends, family, etc.

The scariest thing for me is the ten minutes before we go on...there I am sitting in the front row with my back turned to the stage, and the noise behind me gets louder and louder...and surprise! There IS an audience!
And a sizeable one at that!

Oh well, here we go!
Just as well we did some practice!

And for an hour I take these willing victims through 12 songs exploring "the human condition" as I put it in the programme (ha! what songs DON'T explore the human condition to some degree??).

My top 5 highlights??

1. The high-powered kick-off song, which launches itself with a bit of an angry snarl...
2. Jo singing "Fight Back", accompanied by some delicious saxes, bells and beautiful slides...
3. Prisoner's Lament ("The Pink Floyd song"!), exploring depression...
4. "Love" (a song I can close my eyes with and sing directly to God)
5. A STANDING OVATION (whoa, people! are you sure you came to the right concert??), followed by many many hugs and kisses (amongst them my favourite one from my wife!), and some big ups from my son (my very own musically discerning and totally unbiased son!).

Thanks to:
The ever-faithful and 150% Jo McG (vocals),
The following-in-my-musical-footsteps (or Lois's??) Sophie vW (flute and bells),
The "Three Saxes" - Andrew, Netta and Andrew,
The meticulously cool Mike Coleman (electric guitar),
The solid-as-a-rock, make-the-stage-wobble, Dave Machell (bass),
The wild and wonderful Rob Boasman (drums),
The try-anything-at-least-once Graeme Olding (keyboard),
The friend indeed and in word and in everything Michael B (sound, lighting, moral support)
The apt, appropriate, artistic Adrienne (powerpoint),
The hospitable hostesses with the mostesses, Linda and Heather (food and welcomes),
The keen, reliable Aaron (technical assistant),
Cameraman Cameron,
The audience!
God (Big, Loving, Scary, Untamed and Omnipresent)...

If you missed it, make that the last time you miss something I offer you for free!!

Love,

G.

2 comments:

  1. OK I'll BE there! And you'd better do another one!!! Was down on the Kapiti Coast at a Christian Early Childhood Centres conference, taking workshops about quality outdoor environments for kids, so at least I too was doing something I was passionate about. What a bummer to miss it tho - sounds truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next planned concert will be in August some time - Psalms 41 - 50, with strings.
    Possible repeat performance of Dark Glasses - watch this space...
    ps will be in Hospital on 8th at 4pmish for consult in onco block - and maybe Thu am for chemo infusion.
    Tell me Ruth's details (which room, times, etc.)

    ReplyDelete