Saturday, November 27, 2010

More than good stuff

"It doesn't seem possible that someone like Dad could have died."
Indeed. Actually, I think he just needed some time out. There he is - a little shame-faced, but expecting to be forgiven, as always. An inappropriate joke comes out, we all feel a bit uncomfortable, then fall about laughing as the follow-up is something truly hilarious.

Or not.

Yesterday I
- handed in my last piece of work for the academic year. It was fine (though boring, and I never got really comfortable with it). It was squeezed out by utter necessity, rather than bubbling to the top of a set of thoughts and meanderings and connections and soundbytes, as the best pieces do.
- was enrolled by the Student Dean at the law school in a full course load (up to the max 80 points per semester allowed by uni rules) for both semesters next year
- was persuaded that Summer School would be a bad idea; better to recover physically and emotionally and be flexible for the summer, do some pre-work, and run into Semester 1 with strength and power.

Which means I am almost certain to be granted some kind of pass in 3 of the 4 basic Law II papers I started with this year, leaving just one (that I had deleted from my record earlier when I thought I might possibly die from overload quicker than Gerald) to repeat next year
And the papers include ones I truly wanted to do, including Intellectual Property Law, and especially, Public International Law and International Human Rights. !!!

I think that is called a "result", which is odd, as abject and complete failure is equally a result.
At any rate, none of the transitionary trials have gotten easier BUT I now know what I will be doing next year, and am more than happy with what that is.

So, who's fault is all this good stuff?
No-one's really, as always: it is a gift - call it good luck (the Bible does), serendipity, karma, answer to prayer, the tide coming in ...

But many people have influenced this result:
- Alex and Sophie, patient with my being away working, walking, thinking, at the library, distracted ... and almost never complaining about that (probably relieved to have my attention diverted :-))
- Gerald. Thankyou. Are you pleased? Do you think I'll end up involved in nation-state conflict resolution? You would say yes, I know - and be scared that I'd be away from home too much.
- Andrew, Michael, Jenny, and Gerald's whole home group for not only ongoing support, rostered caring shifts, help with meals but the wonderful spearheading of the funeral organisation by Michael
- St Cuthberts Parents and Friends: for meals and baking for what probably ended up at least 10 weeks, I lost count to avoid feeling further embarrassed, and learnt to accept yet another "present" that tipped the balance in favour of coping.
- Mum. She knows.
- heck, can I continue this list another time?

I hope some West Coast miner's wife has a moment of joy about her emerging new life today, amidst the disbelief and bewilderment.

L

1 comment:

  1. John Key at the Pike River Mine memorial:

    "Amongst all your other emotions and pain there may be fear for your children growing up without the father who loved them.

    "Because I was such a child, I know that the absence of a parent is a heaviness you learn to carry in your own way.

    "It is a terrible thing to happen. But it doesn't mean your children will not go on to live happy, worthwhile and fulfilling lives and, in time, experience joyfulness and love in new families, yet to be created.

    "And even if those children's memories of their fathers fade, his legacy will live on in each one of them."

    ReplyDelete