Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Buses!

Today I re-entered the balmy world that is the Auckland Public transport system...
Sophie and I travelled by bus to Epsom - about 20 minutes.
From there we walked up King George Avenue ("That's where mum and I lived when we were first married", pointing to no. 40 King George Ave).
Thru the "apron" section of Cornwall Park, bordered by Campbell Crescent (lovely Victorian/Edwardian fountain in this bit), and on up to St Cuthbert's College.
Sophie is doing a 3 day IT intro course (the girls are all required to have and use Apple Macs) and I left her at reception, making my solitary way back to the bus stop, at no.60 King George Ave.
I got to the stop around 9am, thinking I would have to wait about quarter of an hour...
I had no reading book and no Sudoku puzzle, so had to content myself with thoughts about nature, rain, God, life, death, etc.
I began to enjoy the blessed state of internal peace and harmony that is reached when one "focusses down"...
Finally looked at my watch...
9.20am.
Still no bus.
Hmm...
9.30 rolled by...slowly...with no sign of the 298 bus.
By 10am 2 297 buses had been stopped by me, both drivers assuring me that this was the correct stop and the bus would be along eventually.....
By 10.10am still no 298 so I decided, very self-justifiably, that the time had come to walk home, and when I got home, boy were Metrolink, Maxx, Rodney Hide and any advocates for the "Super City" gonna get it....
Reached home at 11.30am.
Rang the bus timetable place to verify how many buses I SHOULD have seen between 9 and 10am (after all, as the Klingons in Star Trek say, "Revenge is a dish best served cold" - I should get my facts right).
The answer from the guy at the other end of the phone was "none".
"None?? Really??"
"Yep - the last bus past there is at 8.45 and then there's nothing till 10.15am".
The wind out of my vengeful sails.
Just as well I checked before writing the slew of letters I had planned to write...
Still, my appetite for MORE public transport faded somewhat today.
Let's have more motorways!!! Tomorrow!!
Good luck, Sophie! (She made it back home on the bus by herself, so did better than me in that enterprise!)
All else today was something of an anti-climax - thank goodness.
A trip out to buy some odd clothes (wait till next chemophoto), a spot of gardening (rush out when it stops raining), watching the Indian movie Dor (beautiful soundtrack music, qawwali style), heading out to Uni to see a debate about Guantanamo inmates (Lois even managed to find a legit carpark close by before the debate started!)...
Then back home to wind up with an episode of ... Boston Legal (series 5, episode 4).
A pervading sense of running out of time...
Well, we all are...I guess it's just brought home to me a bit more...wanting to write write write and perform perform perform and listen and draw and eat and read and make love and see firends and family and walk and sleep and laugh and see my children grow and wait for buses (not!) and how much time do I/we have ?????
Nobody knows.
It's bedtime now, though...
Love,
G.

2 comments:

  1. heinz - there's more to bus travel than mere waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a reference to the Heinz ad?
    Or addressing someone called Heinz?
    Either way, grasshopper, there are certainly many mysteries to be revealed!

    ReplyDelete