Saturday, July 25, 2009

Crossing Cultural Boundaries...

A little bit of Sufi Senegalese singing to get us going in the morning (Youssou N'Dour, "Egypt").
Followed by Jimi Hendrix asking that age old question, "Are You Experienced?"
Off to Royal Oak drycleaners (if anyone knows of a closer one to where I live, please let me know!) to a soundtrack of Split Enz "Mental Notes" (their first ever album, which is one of 2 pop albums I still have on vinyl - a gorgeous gatefold sleeve, now with an autograph of Mike Chunn on the label).
Back for lunch, then off to the dress rehearsal of "Dido and Anaeas", which Viva Voce are performing tomorrow night and Tuesday (and that's the reason I went today - tomorrow I have my own gig and on Tuesday I am off to Starlight Express with 140 students!).
Soundtrack for the car trip was Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" (this marked an acoustic departure for him - I like it, but my favourite album is still "Born to Run").
If you are in Auckland and not already booked in for my show or Staerlight Express, I thoroughly recommend the Viva Voce gig - the music was flowing well today, there are some lovely pieces of staging, and the soloists are aurally, and visually, gorgeous!
Also, the piece is a classic, and has to be seen/heard at least once in your lifetime (another reason for me to go!).
Real Groovy followed on and I picked up CDs by Miriam Makeba (now dead, first lady of South African pop - gorgeous voice), Liszt and Schumann songs, Jamoa Jam and a new group called the Temper Trap ( a bit Arcade Fire).
After sitting down with the usual fare of Studio 60 and Boston Legal (started on Black Books yesterday - a gift of the 3 series from my sister, Carla), coming to the blog with Beethoven serenading me with violin and orchestra.
Today's top 3 then - Purcell, Beethoven and Makeba - rock on!

G.

6 comments:

  1. The Yellow Pages online lists Busy Bee Laundromat Ltd in McKinnon St in the drycleaning section, but I don't know if they actually do. Might be worth a phone call (09-620 4112) as it is a little closer to you than Royal Oak.

    Born to Run is a great song; I don't know the rest of the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would normally go to support Roseanne in her Viva Voce performances but on this occasion a certain Gerald's gig is taking priority!!
    Shona was a soloist recently in 'Dido and Anaeas' on Waiheke. I still remember Roseanne and Shona being soloists in 'Dido and Anaeas' when they were at AGGS and Lois was in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always go to the drycleaner in Balmoral so that is even further for me than it is for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the push for Dido, G. It was good to have a genuine audience on Saturday. Last night's performance went well, and Dido's final aria was a tear-jerker, for the choir as well as the audience. My mother has sworn off 'inbred Carthaginians' for life: apparently we were very convincing. Last night was sold out, but there are lots of seats still available for Tuesday. So,if you're reading this and you want a once-in-a-lifetime experience, come to 'Humble Henry', incorporating Dido and Aeneas -- a celebration of the music of one Henry Purcell, born 350 years ago. Phone 0800 VIVA VOCE to book. It's at the Town Hall Concert Chamber, 7.30 pm, Tuesday.

    HERE ENDETH THE COMMERCIAL BREAK ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I'm sorry that being a witch and a Cartheginian courtier meant that I was not able to be at your gig, Gerald: how did it go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It went well, I think.
    From my perspective.
    I was happy.
    No sailors or witches, tho!
    G.

    ReplyDelete