Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bin good

Bin laden with good things.

Good to have Gerald at home.
Good to find Alex and Sophie getting comfortable with this.
Good to have Gerald smiling again (at moments).
Good to have an all-dancing hospital bed, more comfy and handy for both Gerald and nurses.

Less good -
- barely being able to manage being away from the house - but this feeling is dissipating.
- having home become a hospital - nurses galore, visitors and all.

The roster is looking good for this week, with a few extra offers as fallback.
It's humbling, yet again, to accept help.

I'm still heading towards my remaining 3 exams ponderously, with little dexterity of mind, and halting, fleeing moments of incisive thought. Pulling things together is kind of beyond me. So I take comfort in the fact that I'm learning the concepts, at least - this year's exams will not define me.

Wondering how Alex and Sophie are going to managing in their exams?
And whether Andy and Mum, bearing the brunt of the caring, will burnt out before the sun goes down?

Gerald is shrinking, going through a process, sad, resigned, sometimes vomiting (which he hates), peaceful, quiet, sleeping a great deal, on his third week of not eating (occasional tsp of apple sauce, perhaps, aside). He has a subcutaneous feed for extra meds, a syringe driver, and the alternatives of pills, liquids, and subcut top-up meds. All working so far.

It is good we are all sharing my husband's, my children's father's, Gerald's sisters' brother's decline, not missing much.

Each day. Seems to count.

L

3 comments:

  1. thank you for your update Lois. I really appreciate it.
    Thinking of you all,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each day. Seems to count.

    Lois....each day does count. A big thanks to you & Gerald for reminding me of that every time I read this blog.

    Everest is climbed a foot at a time. Life, like Everest itself, is all about the inches.

    ReplyDelete