Sunday, April 3, 2011

Takes me seriously, anyway

Nobody.

Oscar Wilde noticed the curious fact that poeple are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously. But I wouldn't take that so seriously as to not let myself feel. However illogically. At times.

Gerald is always here, in rememberings, wantings and dreams.
Less so in chat. This is right, and it encourages the heart not to clutch at the past. Life is lost by too tight a hold, and so is love.

What would I know?
Anyway, I get some good big-picture perspectives from International Human Rights.
We've done death row and the right to life, nearly finished the right to freedom from torture including the sad treatment of Misters Aksoy and Selmouni (for good enough reason? is there ever good enough reason? etc). 9 am Mon, Wed and Fri. Don't have breakfast before the lecture, or you might see it again.

Also from International (Public) Law - the international legal framework - of which the United Nations is the current major institution.

I hope to do an International Economic Regulation paper next semester, along with Intellectual Property, another suitably global topic.

As a result of the international stuff I'm doing -
I'm going to the Asia-Pac Model UN Conference in July (Canberra) as a "New Zealand delegate" (qualifications - show that you know something useful, are keen and confident), which ought to be a great opportunity to shoot my mouth off about things I can't possibly really understand. Luckily, I would have to say the same for the 20 year olds.

With regard to that week, evenings filled with compulsory "after-dark diplomacy", a suggestion from friend CF is probably a good one - it's "time to get out your immature student".
No worries. Practicing already ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment