Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I think you would say the same

Part of the newsletter from Kahunui:

...
Our first lesson on sustainability was a wonderful time sitting in the survival environment. We posed the question to the girls: how can we ensure Kahunui remains the same or better for their daughter in 24 years time?
...
The most valued house member for the week is selected by the girls. The criteria is the girl who has helped others, listened and encouraged the team and done her share of the tasks.
Parents&Friends:: Jessica Webster
Old Girls': Olivia Robertson
Wairaka: Sophie van Waardenberg
Tremain: Olivia Hay

On Tuesday we head out sea kayaking on the Ohiwa Harbour and tramping up in Waiotahi Valley.
...

Go Sophie! I think that is the same Sophie that was terrified to go to Kahunui as she feels (sometimes) she doesn't fit in; also all the teachers hate her and she has no real friends. Not sure, one of those 2 girls may be having me on?

I shall go to the Kahunui coffee morning tomorrow wearing my victory mamma outfit, all in green (the Wairaka house colour).
Golly, I scare myself sometimes.

Thinking I need to learn to be less afraid of myself. My children might learn by example that one has to succeed at something in order to be comfortable with oneself. I absolutely DISbelieve this, I had thought - till I noticed it's how I tend to live.

And people LIVE what they most truly BELIEVE.
I reckon.

Alex and I are having a discussion about getting-up agreements.
  • Tiger parenting approach (absolute garbage):
    You'll get up at the time I say because I know best, you are lazy, and unless it's painful and difficult you'll grow up a spineless lump suitable only for normal life and you are better than that, boy!

  • Dr Spock approach (passionless with a dubious assumption of complete reasonableness):
    I am neither timid nor guilty about saying that being able to get up at some reliably reasonable time is something that, to me, seems important, so do it. Please.

  • Mr Spock approach (might suit Alex :-)):
    There is a definite pleasurable experience connected with knowing one is reliable. Purposely annoying your mother? Ah, yes, one of your earth illogicalities.

  • US governmental approach (oh, were it only so simple):
    Yes, we can!

Outcome? Unsettled to the end of the forecast period.

No comments:

Post a Comment